News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Between the LRT construction and Curtis Block/BLVD work, northbound Macleod was effectively at two through lanes all the time a few weeks ago. World didn't end. Between bike facilities, construction and temporary patios, virtually every four-lane one-way road in the centre city (Macleod, 4th St, 5th St, 12th Ave) has been down to two lanes in the last year and a half. No reason any of them can't be down to three permanently.

Between the LRT construction and Curtis Block/BLVD work, northbound Macleod was effectively at two through lanes all the time a few weeks ago. World didn't end. Between bike facilities, construction and temporary patios, virtually every four-lane one-way road in the centre city (Macleod, 4th St, 5th St, 12th Ave) has been down to two lanes in the last year and a half. No reason any of them can't be down to three permanently.
Well Covid really reduced volumes of people commuting and visitors in downtown. I would be all for having the patios brought back every summer. If there is a positive that came out of Covid, that is one of them.

Agreed. 1st street SE and McLeod seem only busy during rush hour, the rest of the day they could be mistaken for airport runways.

Or convert 16th to a freeway as being the TCH would imply it should be. A Glenmore Trail for the north if you will.
It’s already a quasi freeway from Deerfoot to 68th St. In the NE
I think the city needs to take a radical approach and make 16th ave a slower thoroughfare. Add more traffic lights, and add a lane of street parking on each side. It would transform the avenue into a decent high street very quickly.

Well Covid really reduced volumes of people commuting and visitors in downtown. I would be all for having the patios brought back every summer. If there is a positive that came out of Covid, that is one of them.
Even before Covid, essentially all of the roadways downtown did not see maximum volume capacities. All of our roads are significantly overdesigned for cars downtown.

Even before Covid, essentially all of the roadways downtown did not see maximum volume capacities. All of our roads are significantly overdesigned for cars downtown.
The light timing leaving downtown on 5 Ave would like to have a conversation with you, haha. (Admittedly the construction wasn't helping but ever since they added in that EV dual right it's been really bad). When we were back in the office for a bit it takes me about 15 minutes to travel 4 blocks out of downtown, then 15 minutes the rest of the way home.

The light timing leaving downtown on 5 Ave would like to have a conversation with you, haha. (Admittedly the construction wasn't helping but ever since they added in that EV dual right it's been really bad). When we were back in the office for a bit it takes me about 15 minutes to travel 4 blocks out of downtown, then 15 minutes the rest of the way home.
https://www.calgary.ca/transportation/tp/planning/transportation-data/traffic-volume-flow-maps.html

I understand that the flow is not constant throughout the day, but compare those numbers with capacities. Utilization is poor, a lot of space is wasted and could be spent on better things.

Bias: I'm also in the camp that we shouldn't design our downtown roadways for peak volumes, there's many better uses for space downtown that would create both more efficient transportation and connected communities. As with most great cities, if someone wants to drive downtown at 5pm, it should take them time.

Last edited:
https://www.calgary.ca/transportation/tp/planning/transportation-data/traffic-volume-flow-maps.html

I understand that the flow is not constant throughout the day, but compare those numbers with capacities. Utilization is poor, a lot of space is wasted and could be spent on better things.

Bias: I'm also in the camp that we shouldn't design our downtown roadways for peak volumes, there's many better uses for space downtown that would create both more efficient transportation and connected communities. As with most great cities, if someone wants to drive downtown at 5pm, it should take them time.
s9dVsL0.png

Still looks to be the busiest volume wise for all of downtown so I don't feel so crazy, but that's fair. I'd be perfectly okay with reducing the traffic lanes and widening sidewalks in a heartbeat, even as a vehicle commuter. I actually think it'd probably improve traffic flow in spots by reducing the constant lane changes.

Back