News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.6K     0 

General Construction Updates

CMLC released an update today about east Victoria Park. Nothing much new that hasn't already been discussed in this forum aside from construction will start on the arena in August and this bit....
On another major project in the city's core, CMLC announced Thursday that a New York firm, Fisher Dachs Associates, has been hired to do the planning and design work on the proposed expansion of Arts Commons.
Any of our knowledge experts care to comment if this is a good thing or not?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...land-corporation-arts-commons-plans-1.5900930

CMLC released an update today about east Victoria Park. Nothing much new that hasn't already been discussed in this forum aside from construction will start on the arena in August and this bit....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...land-corporation-arts-commons-plans-1.5900930
Just to Clarify, CMLC released an RFP for theatre consultancy only, (among other RFPs for other consultants). Fisher Dachs is that consultancy. The RFP for prime architectural services will not be released until early March.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/cmlc-east-village-calgary-municipal-land-corporation-arts-commons-plans-1.590093
FDA has done a vast number of theatre projects so probably a pretty good firm to have on board. They also did the performance space at thee NMC, they've also done the Royal Academy of Music.

I imagine they will only be a partner in the design of the interior performance spaces, as I don't see much full structural/exterior design work from them.

Do we have a recent count on how many units we have UC in the inner city right now? I can do one after class if no one else has.

Construction start for the arena in August, when a DP hasn't even been submitted yet. Does that seem feasible to others on here? How long is the typical BP process after DP is pending release? Or, can construction be considered started with shoring and excavation, while they wait on a BP?

The latter is correct.

CMLC released an update today... construction will start on the arena in August ..
Beat me to it! Got an update during dinner and was waiting until I got back home to post. But yes construction in August! Parties are apparently getting close to a final design as well, i'm still skeptical, expecting during march now, but very well could be sooner .

Last edited by a moderator:
Construction start for the arena in August, when a DP hasn't even been submitted yet. Does that seem feasible to others on here? How long is the typical BP process after DP is pending release? Or, can construction be considered started with shoring and excavation, while they wait on a BP?
The latter is correct.
It happens time to time. IIRC, they can get a shoring permit that allows them to dig down to around 8 feet.

Also, I feel like this project is a special case with quite a bit of municipal level planning and scrutiny already involved in the process, so I’m sure the BP can be expedited.

Back