News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 962     0 

General Construction Updates

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
The irony with traffic calming is that it has actually resulted in more deaths in some places due to the increased response time for emergency services.

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
The irony with traffic calming is that it has actually resulted in more deaths in some places due to the increased response time for emergency services.
While probably true (at least in aggregate across the entire continent), I bet that is true mostly in patchwork municipalities, with calming on an inappropriate for calming road put in by a rich small town at the expense of its neighbours.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
A quick google search would give you all the info you want...

It was a presentation I had attended that spoke of the impacts of traffic calming and emergency vehicle response time. There was a case study from a city in Arizona I think. Was 5-10 years ago so I can't recall the specifics.

DiscoStu

Member Bio
Reaction score
My office is next door to Jack Long Park. It was supposed to be finished last summer, but when they started digging they found some random buried junk on site, and needed to assess whether it was of historical nature (I don't believe it turned out to be), so it was pushed back. It was supposed to be finished this summer again, but I'm just glad to see it active.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah, I go there two or three times a month and think they're doing a pretty good job considering how tiny the store is. It'll be nice when the expansion and renovation is done, hopefully before I move next summer.