News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Bank of Nova Scotia in that last picture was rebuilt and was the downtown branch location for a long time. The 2 buildings to the right(south) are still up right now. Can’t remember if it was still that same building but the building south of the quanset with the coke sign burned down at some point in the last 15 years. Dr Edwards(Airdrie first dr) first house was torn down in 2011 but it was not worth saving. I was on the crew that tore it down, the house had been abused and was not worth fixing up anymore. Other than that house there have not been any historically significant houses torn down. The Old Hotel was pretty run down and unfortunately lost to become an empty lot.

Airdrie council presented something called The Square several years ago but there was extreme pushback from the citizens due to price and lack of transparency.

Even in that picture though the buildings do not compare to other towns around the area.

The house I have tagged is from 1901, oldest house I can find in town here. The one we tore down was I believe 1906, with Dr Edwards next house built in 1909 right across Centre Ave.

View attachment 167900
Do you happen to have a photo of the Dr Edwards house, unfortunately google streetview only goes back to 2007 is slightly too new to show it.
As for the 1970s photo I posted, what side of what block is that, I had trouble figuring it out.

As for the house I do not have any pictures of it. ‘70s photo is the east side of Main Street south of 1st ave. Scotia bank consolidated their 2 locations in town to one larger one early 2000’s and the building became a liquor store for many years and was most recently renovated with an accounting firm relocating there from creekside over by sobeys.

the commute was probably faster back then

1545092774484.jpeg

I wish the stadium was more central, but this will still be nice for footie fans. So much nicer than the old run down Mewata Stadium, even though the Mewata stadium location was better.

Back