News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Drove through Inglewood today. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but that 4ish story corner condo building on the west end of 9th appears to now be under construction. Fencing is up and equipment is on site.

On the east end of 9th the old school yard that is part of the Alexandra Hall is completely torn up with equipment working. Apparently this will now be called Jack Long Park. Has anyone seen any sort of plans for what is being done there? A google search turned up nothing for me

The lot where the car wash used to be?

Drove through Inglewood today. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but that 4ish story corner condo building on the west end of 9th appears to now be under construction. Fencing is up and equipment is on site.

On the east end of 9th the old school yard that is part of the Alexandra Hall is completely torn up with equipment working. Apparently this will now be called Jack Long Park. Has anyone seen any sort of plans for what is being done there? A google search turned up nothing for me

Sorry folks, completely got my directions messed up there. The condo building under construction is on the east end of 9th (down by the brewery) and the park that is being redone is on the west end of 9th (at the Alexandra Hall site as mentioned).

Is that the YWCA Hub project?

I don't mind the brick on the national block, if it were new it would look bad, but I think the fact that it's a bit weathered looks decent. Painting it white would look great, though a soon as it weathered the building would just look dingy. Once people are in and the shades are drawn on all the windows it would look as mismatched. What do people think of the Mount Royal Village building now that it's been finished for a while? I thought it looked odd at first, but looks fine to me now.

For the Barron Building, have they shown what is happening with the old Chophouse Building beside it? I find it funny that the Chophouse was forced out when tyhey wanted to build an office building beside the Barron, then they went to the Burns Building and closed within a year, and their former space just sat there empty for years.

Sorry folks, completely got my directions messed up there. The condo building under construction is on the east end of 9th (down by the brewery) and the park that is being redone is on the west end of 9th (at the Alexandra Hall site as mentioned).

If the building activity is at 13 St, then it is the Torode project called Irvine

Yup. That's the one. There's a sign up saying it is 40% sold along with construction fencing, those modified shipping containers on the sidewalk for a protected pedestrian walkway and two backhoes sitting on site. Looked to me like construction was underway but I was there on a Sunday.
It might be u/c now. the last time I was by there (August I think) there was no equipment and no protected walkway. Maybe @Beazley66 knows?

upload_2018-10-23_10-43-25.png

It's fine i guess, upper units might be nice. Again material choices though, Tyndall Stone and Cement Siding? I wish they would use brick for the red and commercial portions, at least for the facades facing 9th avenue and on the corner. It's such an easy way to give this building decent curb appeal in an area dominated by older brick buildings. They already have architectural nods to similarly scaled, older buildings on 9th Ave with the cornices and red colour to the 4th floor. Why not just use brick it would feel less cheap and contrived than faking surfaces that the architectural intent were clearly to use brick on, with cement siding and Tyndall Stone to save a couple bucks.

Any insight from someone in Calgary who knows how that would dev's seem to routinely avoid or cheap out on brick? Is it actually expensive enough to throw a proforma off, or are these developers just cheap and VEing too much. I seem to recall Mountain Man knowing his shit on this subject.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-23_10-43-25.png
    upload_2018-10-23_10-43-25.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 766
It doesn’t look terrible in that pic. Earlier pics showed mostly beige stucco IIRC. Takeaway those cornices, and you have a more modern look. As @Social Justice said the retail bays are ultimately what’s most important here. Light brick with large windows, and possibly awnings - it’s going to be just fine.
View attachment 161399
It's fine i guess, upper units might be nice. Again material choices though, Tyndall Stone and Cement Siding? I wish they would use brick for the red and commercial portions, at least for the facades facing 9th avenue and on the corner. It's such an easy way to give this building decent curb appeal in an area dominated by older brick buildings. They already have architectural nods to similarly scaled, older buildings on 9th Ave with the cornices and red colour to the 4th floor. Why not just use brick it would feel less cheap and contrived than faking surfaces that the architectural intent were clearly to use brick on, with cement siding and Tyndall Stone to save a couple bucks.

Any insight from someone in Calgary who knows how that would dev's seem to routinely avoid or cheap out on brick? Is it actually expensive enough to throw a proforma off, or are these developers just cheap and VEing too much. I seem to recall Mountain Man knowing his shit on this subject.

Federal contribution to the olympics:
upload_2018-10-26_17-7-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-26_17-7-0.png
    upload_2018-10-26_17-7-0.png
    288.5 KB · Views: 544

Back