News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

New commercial building going into Inglewood at 1421 9 Avenue SE. Occupancy is Q1 2018.

View attachment 131766

Not to sure who the developer is buy here is the website. Nice to see them keeping the heritage look instead of standard glass and spandrel.

http://www.avenuecommercial.com/property-map/1421-9-avenue-se-2/

I don't mind a new building having an older look if it's a smaller scale building and they are simply modelling the whole building after an older style.

I'm fine with this setup. Small basic building with an older look that fits into itself as a standalone building (if that makes any sense)
Image1.jpg

but not a fan of this set up. Mixing various styles and not really the look of a building in the past but using a lot of the materials etc, trying to look like one. It doesn't know what it's supposed to be.
Image2.jpg

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 322
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 343
A little more info on that new parkade for East Village.

From https://twitter.com/gccarra
'In that spirit, @CalgaryParking is working w @CalgaryMLC in the @EastVillageYYC to deliver the “Ant Farm” a parkade + #MakerSpace that also will be convertible in the parking lite age of AVs to entirely office & maker space'

I find the idea of having MakerSpace in the parkade very cool. Looking forward to seeing more about this....speaking of which there was this tweet from Druh Farrell. Might be new info on this parkade today.

Druh Farrell‏Verified account@DruhFarrell 3h3 hours ago
Replying to @SonnyTomic @Surrealplaces and
Come to the announcement in East Village tomorrow to see!'

Will it just be an announcement about the parkade? Or will we finally see the Stampede/Victoria Park master plan from CMLC? I think that was supposed to be released in January.

Will it just be an announcement about the parkade? Or will we finally see the Stampede/Victoria Park master plan from CMLC? I think that was supposed to be released in January.
I was understanding it as an announcement about the parkade only, but could be wrong.
The old library has one. Wouldn't the new one have one as well?
Not sure, but the maker space will be in the new parkade. I haven't heard of one in the new library.

Nimbus beat me to it! So far it looks good, idea wise it's nice that it's not just a generic parkade. I also like the way it looks like a train station.

DUPuTlbVMAA39GU.jpg

Attachments

• DUPuTlbVMAA39GU.jpg
    DUPuTlbVMAA39GU.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 504
A bit deceiving to show towers on either side. To the left is the District Energy Plant, and the right is an existing utility building. As for the parkade itself, looks great though. Almost looks like a flying saucer to me.

Re the future conversion ability:

Turning Parking structures into living areas in the future is marketing, nothing more. Turning was intended to work for parking, into living space, is a huge pain in the ass.

Parking spaces have sloped floors, living spaces have flat floors. It’s hard to correct that issue in the future. Also, the structural loading requirements for parking areas are lower than what they need to be for many living areas. So to do this, they have to intentionally overbuild the structure for a future use that’s never going to be used, because it doesn’t make sense to convert. Wasting money is all that is.

Put in almost flat floors (a tiny slant for drainage), make ramp access to the floors distinct and removable, instead of making the floors the ramp. at the very least, could be an interesting "central market" type thing in the future.

Back