News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Covid-19

Ready for another ride on the roller coaster?

positivity rate.png

Ready for another ride on the roller coaster?

Not surprising. I think everyone in Alberta got caught up in the euphoria that the end of the pandemic was near. The unvaccinated are probably not taking the same precautions they were before all of the restrictions and mask mandates were lifted.
25% of those 12 years and over still have not had a single vaccination. About 40% still need their second shot. Look around you the next time you are in close quarters with a group of people. There is a good chance that 4 of 10 people in that group are not fully vaccinated and 1 in 4 are not vaccinated at all. They are running the risk by not taking precautions and, quite frankly, being stupid and reckless, knowing what we know now.

Last edited:
Yep. With 75% of the population vaccinated with at least one dose, everything is opening again, and people are letting their guard down. Companies all starting to begin bring staff back into the office. Those who are unvaccinated will be at risk more than they were before.

Actually, only 63.7% of the population has at least one dose, and only 51.6% are fully vaccinated. We're nowhere near herd immunity and the roughly 1.6 million Albertans who have received no doses could still very much overwhelm the hospitals (by themselves and by increasing the rate of reinfection among the vaccinated).

Really not looking forward to September when universities reopen and pack lecture halls, elbow-to-elbow, with hundreds of 20-somethings.

BTW: I don't think the solution is more lockdowns. I really want schools to reopen!! I'd also love to go to the movies and eat inside a restaurant. I wish there'd be more pressure on people to get vaccinated.

I just got double dosed about 2.5 hours ago. No ill effects yet but will update if that changes.

Also to clarify an incorrect/mute statement made by someone above, 75% of the eligible population is vaccinated (what makes your point about 63.7% mute is because if someone isn’t eligible, they obviously shouldn’t be counted). Anyways, we are above the national average in both fully vaccinated overall and fully vaccinated eligible. The only provinces with higher percentages are SK, MB, and ON, so we are doing quite fine.

We had to open back up sooner or later, and the reality of the numbers (99% of deaths being unvaccinated dipshits) will hopefully wake some idiots up and get them off their asses.

63.7% vs 75% is not moot. Just because people under 12 can't get their shot yet doesn't mean that they're not part of the population who can get COVID, spread it to others, and still develop serious symptoms (though clearly not at the same rate as older people). We don't have that many pediatric ICU beds. And even if we're not worried about kids' health, schools and daycares will just keep getting shut down over and over again if we let the virus spread unchecked among the under-12 population.

Also, the fact that we're above the national average in terms of full vaccinations is just because we started giving second shots earlier than other provinces. And we started giving out second shots earlier because demand for first shots declined faster in AB. It's not something to be proud of.

Either way, it doesn't really matter how we compare to other jurisdictions. It matters how far we are from having the ENTIRE population at 85% vaccinated.

Last edited:
I just got double dosed about 2.5 hours ago. No ill effects yet but will update if that changes.

Also to clarify an incorrect/mute statement made by someone above, 75% of the eligible population is vaccinated (what makes your point about 63.7% mute is because if someone isn’t eligible, they obviously shouldn’t be counted). Anyways, we are above the national average in both fully vaccinated overall and fully vaccinated eligible. The only provinces with higher percentages are SK, MB, and ON, so we are doing quite fine.

We had to open back up sooner or later, and the reality of the numbers (99% of deaths being unvaccinated dipshits) will hopefully wake some idiots up and get them off their asses.
Thanks for getting your shots!

I think you mean the only provinces with higher fully vaccinated percentages are NS, NB, ON, MB and SK... there are only 10 provinces total. And the only reason we're doing better than a few other provinces in getting people fully vaccinated is that there's nobody slowing down the process by getting their first dose. We're by far the #1 province for people who are eligible to be vaccinated but have chosen not to.
1627054269038.png

PS: there are a lot of diseases that aren't fatal, but somehow we don't just shrug at them and say, "well, nobody's dying" and skip prevention or mitigation. I get that deaths have been the focus because they're easier to track and a bigger deal, but this is a disease that puts people out of commission for weeks and can leave lasting effects -- if it's a mild case. But I'm not thrilled by the rhetorical moving the goalposts to the point where as long as people keep breathing air, our public health conditions a success.

Whatever the percentage of vaccinated population is, one thing for sure, the percentage who are unvaccinated are at more risk. As time goes on the people who die or are hospitalized will be almost only unvaccinated. Whether it will be enough to get some of those people to change their mind, I don't know.

1627494710043.png

Cases on the rise, unfortunately. Looks like something unforeseeable must have happened in the rough July 8-15 range to drive cases back up; apparently something particularly appealing to people in their 20s.

The good news is that this is still a low level, so as long as the people in charge of public health take quick and decisive action, we won't be overwhelmed with exponential growth by the time we get back to school. And there's no reason for them not to, since this isn't the first, second or even third time we've seen cases spike, so there should be a clear playbook -- we obviously must have learned from the lessons of the recent past; it would be inconcievable for us not to.

View attachment 337753

Cases on the rise, unfortunately. Looks like something unforeseeable must have happened in the rough July 8-15 range to drive cases back up; apparently something particularly appealing to people in their 20s.

The good news is that this is still a low level, so as long as the people in charge of public health take quick and decisive action, we won't be overwhelmed with exponential growth by the time we get back to school. And there's no reason for them not to, since this isn't the first, second or even third time we've seen cases spike, so there should be a clear playbook -- we obviously must have learned from the lessons of the recent past; it would be inconcievable for us not to.
Do you want to lockdown the 20-30 year olds? Those days are probably over. Time to move on.

Back