News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Covid-19

In lieu of all the pessimism in the media and social media here's an article that shines light on the sense of community Calgary has and is capable of.

Last edited:
Lake Louise was still open yesterday, was nice to get away from the news and just be outside in the sunshine. I'm sure all the hills will be closed by this weekend though.

I heard Colorado closed their hills, and I think I saw a headline that Whistler and Grouse Mountain are closed as well. Probably won't be long before the Alberta hills as well.

Does anyone wonder if the en masse working from home/ online education will lead towards a trend in real estate changes? I wonder if the work from home experiment that's happening now changes office habits more quickly.

I heard Colorado closed their hills, and I think I saw a headline that Whistler and Grouse Mountain are closed as well. Probably won't be long before the Alberta hills as well.
Vail Resorts owns Whistler, and all Vail resorts are now closed. RCR has closed all their hills for a week, but that will very likely be extended indefinitely.

All hills are now shut down and the National Parks are closed completely. I expect provincial borders shut by the end of the week.

If most don't agree I'll retract - but maybe we don't use this thread for news updates? Let's discuss how it'll effect ongoing projects, the economy, how we are doing individually, or our neighbours? I get that this will relate to ongoing news updates, but I hope that most of us aren't coming here to seek the updates.

Anyone know how this is affecting construction companies yet? Are we headed toward a freeze in construction around the city?
Some single family builders (i.e Mattamy) have shut down construction. The way they schedule their trades is like an 'all hands on deck' approach so 'social distancing' was a real challenge. Other builders are continuing to build and usually stagger their trades and number of workers on site.
I some of the multi-family projects have reduced the number of workers on site to try and mirror the provinces '50' maximum rule. I have heard that workers are concerned about 'social distancing' ... multiple trades working in a small suite and elevators jammed with people (i.e Ellis Don Park Central). This has resulted in works stoppages and slow downs. This is going to be an on-going challenge that might result in construction being shut down entirely.

I think ultimately all construction will cease if the situation continues for more than a few weeks (which it is certain to do).

Back