News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Covid-19

Holy shit. ? I was really against getting worked up about this thing, but now I feel like it's impossible to do so. A bunch of people at school were wearing masks today, and I saw at least a few people (including white people) wearing masks on transit.

MLB suspends the rest of spring training and pushes opening day out two weeks. What are people going to do with all this time on their hands? .. no sports live or on TV, festivals cancelled, travel and vacations disrupted and a whole host of other activities likely to be nixed. If companies shut down then we are in whole new place. Only so many jobs and so much work can be accomplished from home. Most commerce (other than on-line) requires personal interaction with customers and other employees.

Yeah, not sure how this is all going to play out. The company I work at is having everyone in the downtown office (300 employees) stay home on the same day early next week as they do a dry run on the IS infrastructure with everyone working from home. There's a good chance if the systems run fine, they'll put the plan into action.
My company isn't the only company looking at doing this. I've heard of at least two other big name companies that are looking into doing the same thing.

Can't say I'm surprised about the NBA or NHL postponing. Putting 20,000 in one building for 3 hours is the perfect way to spread the virus. As for people working from home, the more people companies can get working from home, the better. Not everyone can of course, but the jobs where it's easiest to do so are office /admin jobs, and office buildings are susceptible to spreading viruses. The more people they can get out of downtown and working from home, the better.

First announcement of province-wide school closures in Canada. Ontario suspending all classes for elementary and secondary schools beginning tomorrow. Technically "march break" starts tomorrow, and then the province is suspending classes until at least April 6.

A bunch of profs at the school were today were basically getting us ready for the likelihood that the school will be shutdown in the next couple weeks.

Sophie Gregoire Trudeau has tested positive for Covid19. I believe she is the first major public figure in the country to get it. The Prime Minister is self isolating.

Was not expecting it this soon, but classes cancelled today.

Was not expecting it this soon, but classes cancelled today.
Given the larger lectures it makes sense.

UCalgary remains open. Class suspended on Friday, March 13.
While the University of Calgary will remain open on Friday, with all services available and all staff at work, classes are being suspended for the day. This will allow consultation with public health experts, government officials and other post-secondary institutions on appropriate next steps. Following this consultation classes will resume on Monday morning. We will provide you an update with further information as to how that will occur on Friday.

Update – March 13, 2020

Late March 12, Alberta Health announced that certain large gatherings of people should be canceled to ward off the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus).
While the University of Calgary will remain open on Friday, with all services available and all staff at work, classes are being suspended for the day. This will allow consultation with public health experts, government officials and other post-secondary institutions on appropriate next steps. Following this consultation classes will resume on Monday morning. We will provide you an update with further information as to how that will occur on Friday.
The University of Calgary, University of Alberta and University of Lethbridge –institutions that have classes with 250+ students –are all taking these measures.

Back