News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary's Homeless

I don't get how meth has become so prevalent, everyone knows how bad it is, we can see it, but people keep doing it. Fentanyl is a result of oxy, so that I can understand...

I don't get how meth has become so prevalent, everyone knows how bad it is, we can see it, but people keep doing it. Fentanyl is a result of oxy, so that I can understand...
my understanding is part of it is intentional introduction - somewhere in the supply chain cutting the drug you thought with some meth. Now you're on meth. Part is intentional exploration on the part of the user. And part is opioids make you lethargic/sleep. So why not counter that with meth if you get assaulted in your sleep/your stuff gets stolen.

In the news we hear about cocaine - that often times it isn't cocaine at all anymore, it is meth and other stuff. Have to figure that the war on drugs/COVID restrictions reduced supplies of cocaine enough that supply was no longer reliable.

Threatened with a needle is next level scary.

Bah, that's just your deep conservative ideology talking. ;)

I think in the end way may have different approaches in attempting to solve the problem, but I at least hope that we can all agree that it is a problem that needs to be addressed. Whether you dream of a progressive utopia, or have more conservative values, this is one of those issues that should transcend political lines as it degrades the quality life for absolutely everyone.

In the context of this forum, where I think most of us have enjoyed seeing the growth of Calgary’s urbanity over the last few decades (I still remember getting way too excited over Axxis being built), I think people need to realize that this is one of those problems that will not only stunt that momentum, but potentially reverse it for years to come. Everybody has a limit, and nothing gets people running for the suburbs faster than a needle in the face.

Part of the problem is that not everyone gets addicted to meth, and surprisingly a high number don't if they only try it a few times. This leads to a number of people thinking they'll be one of those people who can have it without being addicted. It's actually less addictive then other drugs like cocaine, and even nicotine, but ....... once you are addicted the effects are much worse then other substances.

In a vacuum, the barriers that surround West Village (and the lack of development potential in the near future) make it a much better location for the kinds of services that the Drop-In Center provides than East Village.

I am a little confused by the proposal, however. It makes a big deal out of saying "this isn't another drop-in center!" then proceeds to say it will offer almost exactly the same services as the DI.

I hate to be a cynic, but all I can think is how much social disorder will be concentrated in west village / Millennium Park. Also, pedestrian access into there isn't very good so I could see lots of people just walking across the road causing havoc for traffic.

In a vacuum, the barriers that surround West Village (and the lack of development potential in the near future) make it a much better location for the kinds of services that the Drop-In Center provides than East Village.

I am a little confused by the proposal, however. It makes a big deal out of saying "this isn't another drop-in center!" then proceeds to say it will offer almost exactly the same services as the DI.
Oh yes, just move the problem into a neighbourhood that is growing. Because we choose not to solve the problem, so lets move it. Much better for our morals anyways. What was that about East Village redevelopment not causing displacing? Who cares!

choose not to solve the problem
I completely understand where you're coming from. But isn't this what we have all talked about? Giving them a place to go that isn't a bus booth on a C-Train platform.

(Edit: I'm being sarcastic) There is only one way to quickly solve the problem: pick them up and ship them somewhere.

Last edited:
That wouldn't solve anything, there would just be more homeless after we shipped them to Vancouver. We have to find a way to get to the root of the problem and actually solve it.

Interesting, is it really that people are being pushed out of downtown due to recent crackdowns, or has the disorder just spread?

Back