News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary's Homeless

MrPeach

Member Bio
Reaction score
For those who've now spent some time living in the first tower, what are your overall thoughts on the building? Anything in specific you do/don't like? Looking at moving into a 2 bedroom here over the summer (if there are any left) and all firsthand experience is very appreciated

For those who've now spent some time living in the first tower, what are your overall thoughts on the building? Anything in specific you do/don't like? Looking at moving into a 2 bedroom here over the summer (if there are any left) and all firsthand experience is very appreciated
Haven't lived there but I can imagine you'd hear the homeless screaming a lot and see some fucked things.

There are issues with a certain demographic that tend to be around the building. There is 24h security on the premises that do their best and CPS has been more involved but the city could do more for the area. That said in the building is beautiful, the amenities are top notch, and access around the city is great. There isn’t much outside noise that transfers inside, unless a door or window is open. Also nice and quiet inside, don’t hear much from other tenants. Just need to get over/around some certain people.

I don’t want to be “that guy” but the city has to do something with the drop in Center. Last time I drove by there is now a tent city lined up along the roadway beside the DIC. Why are they allowed to camp outside? Isn’t the point of the DIC to bring them inside for shelter? I don’t know what the solution is but what currently exists isn’t the answer and it is really hindering the success of the area.

I don’t want to be “that guy” but the city has to do something with the drop in Center. Last time I drove by there is now a tent city lined up along the roadway beside the DIC. Why are they allowed to camp outside? Isn’t the point of the DIC to bring them inside for shelter? I don’t know what the solution is but what currently exists isn’t the answer and it is really hindering the success of the area.
We need to stop pandering to violent addicts… and yes I mean what I said. There is a tent village set up. Not as big as some other cities but not just a couple either. The drop in is not “full” either. they just don’t accept violent, belligerent and stoned people. One solution would be to stop giving out narcan…
Another solution would be move the drop in to a different location and either repurpose or redevelop that property. CMLC sold developers on a revitalized walkable beautiful neighborhood, they also spent millions master planning it. But have dropped the ball huge on this issue.

Disagree, try reading Sanfransicko by Shellenberger for some perspective. A large chunk of these people need help mentally, they need to be held responsible for their choices and given the help they need. Not just given clean needles/ drugs and narcan… They aren’t just homeless because houses are expensive.

There are some people in unfortunate circumstances that end up on the street but there are plenty of places for them to get a roof over their heads and any other help they need (mustard seed, Salvation Army, inn from the cold, the drop in etc) that’s not who is in the tents, vandalizing property, crapping on sidewalks and shooting up in stairwells.

We need to stop pandering to violent addicts… and yes I mean what I said. There is a tent village set up. Not as big as some other cities but not just a couple either. The drop in is not “full” either. they just don’t accept violent, belligerent and stoned people. One solution would be to stop giving out narcan…
Another solution would be move the drop in to a different location and either repurpose or redevelop that property. CMLC sold developers on a revitalized walkable beautiful neighborhood, they also spent millions master planning it. But have dropped the ball huge on this issue.
And where in the city do you propose they move it to? What neighbourhood anywhere would not throw a riot for it even being proposed there? Honestly this comment of yours seems to totally lack perspective on the dynamics of the situation. The DIC has been there long before CMLC started redeveloping the EV. They made the choice to sell it as whatever they have. There is no better place for the DIC simply because there is no other location for it. If rich people aren’t comfortable with it, I mean… too bad. Do 20 seconds of research before purchasing your place maybe. Resources like the DIC need to be centrally located so that the people who rely on it can be near the other resources that help them (Chumir Centre, transit, etc).

The only other somewhat reasonable location for a relocated DIC would be the large surface lot at the Chumir. But again, riot.

And where in the city do you propose they move it to?
This is the crux of the issue. Demanding that we stop "tolerating these people" and "hold them responsible" doesn't do anything. They're not just going to vanish into thin air. Plenty of homeless people already cycle in and out of jail.

Disagree, try reading Sanfransicko by Shellenberger for some perspective. A large chunk of these people need help mentally, they need to be held responsible for their choices and given the help they need. Not just given clean needles/ drugs and narcan… They aren’t just homeless because houses are expensive.
Sensationalized right-wing polemics are maybe not the best way to inform yourself about these issues. There's plenty of serious scholarship on the causes of homelessness and the effectiveness of various strategies. "Holding people responsible for their choices" is not a strategy. It's just something politicians say to avoid having to do anything. Plus, if they are homeless because of mental illness, how exactly can they be held responsible? You going to walk around the street lecturing people to stop being so schizophrenic?

There are some people in unfortunate circumstances that end up on the street but there are plenty of places for them to get a roof over their heads and any other help they need (mustard seed, Salvation Army, inn from the cold, the drop in etc) that’s not who is in the tents, vandalizing property, crapping on sidewalks and shooting up in stairwells.
Yes, there are people who find themselves homeless temporarily. They might need to spend a few nights in a shelter before finding a relative who will take them in or an apartment that they can rent. These are the people for whom temporary shelters were designed. However, this a very different population from those suffering from mental illness and addiction. Studies have shown that the best way to treat them is to just give them permanent housing right away. One can simply not overcome mental illness and addiction without a stable living arrangement. That's where governments have failed. There is usually plenty of room in temporary shelters, but there are huge waiting lists for permanent housing. It's not a coincidence that the most expensive cities also have the largest populations of chronic homeless.

This is a complex issue that can be very polarizing, so it's important to consider perspectives that may differ from your own. Please keep in mind that my comments refer primarily to the addiction aspect of this issue.

I have the utmost empathy and compassion for people facing addiction and homelessness, having unfortunately seen the issue closer than anyone would like to. I believe that safe injection sites can be part of the solution (as long as they are dispersed appropriately and ensure that needles are disposed of on the premises) and I believe that we as a society need to provide the appropriate supports for people to improve their situation including housing-first approaches and more aggressive addiction and mental health treatment (i.e. treatment in place of jail sentences etc.).

However, tolerating antisocial behavior does absolutely nothing to help people experiencing addiction and homelessness. We've actually seen a decline in the homeless population in recent years but the amount of social disorder in the Beltline and downtown areas has increased significantly. Allowing people who are using psychosis-inducing drugs to make residents feel unsafe in their own neighbourhoods is not acceptable. The tent encampment needs to be removed. For those who think that this is harsh, I challenge you to take a walk through Dermot Baldwin Way and argue that environment is a positive for the people staying there or for the neighbourhood.

If there was no spare shelter capacity, I could see a rational argument for allowing the tent city to stand. I don't even really have an issue with the homeless who camp in more secluded inner city areas and keep to themselves without generating negative externalities on the community. But as it stands, the encampment is a 24 hour street party for addicts who do not wish to abide by the very reasonable rules that shelters have in place. There are constant street fights, overdoses, and garbage / needles strewn about with no regard for anyone else in the area. The issue needs to be addressed and not ignored - we've seen in places like Vancouver what happens when you ignore a problem like this for 40+ years.

Helping addicts lift themselves out of their dire situation requires a delicate balance between tough love and support. Allowing things like this tent encampment simply harm these people by further enabling a self destructive lifestyle.

I'm a block away from the Chumir.

Don't keep valuables in your car, ever. Even not so valuables - the appearance of unkemptness will lead to a broken window, and a spotless car will get passed by (learned this in Sunalta!). Lock your bike to a hard to move object.

I don't feel uncomfortable, but I'm always prepared to detour if I see something.

As for solutions, I think safe supply is the only option to start climbing out of the hole we're in as a society. If we had had safe supply over the past 5 years, there'd be far less reason for petty crime. The crisis would likely have never transitioned to fentynal, then to meth. We'd hopefully have far fewer overdoses, and far less physcosis. Far less erratic behaviour.

I am far from an expert on homeless issues, but to me it's always seemed like homeless people could be grouped into roughly three categories as the primary cause of their homeless situation..
1 - people with mental illness
2 - people with substance addiction issues
3 - people down on their luck, and with a few breaks could get back out of it

Some of those issues overlap obviously, but those kind of seemed like the three main causes. Maybe someone with better knowledge can break it down better, as I'm sure it's not that simple.

Situation #1 is the most difficult situation to remedy, I'm not sure if there are any good solutions for that situation other than to help as much as you can. You can't force people into treatment.
Situation #2 is the one that has always intrigued me. There has got to be a better way to help people in that situation. I recall Calgary was going to try out using a 'drug court' system - basically a court system where people committing crimes because of their addiction get sentenced to a rehab facility instead of jail. Not sure what ever happened with that. I think if we could get Situation #2 dealt with somehow it would also help with Situation #3

Back