News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.4K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.3K     0 

Calgary's Downtown Dilemma

I'm sure that building is in terrible condition having sat for 5-10 years. Also, I bet it's full of asbestos.
From what I recall, the building was in terrible condition even 30 years ago. If it wasn't for the it being one of the remaining brutalist buildings, I would say tearing it down would make the most sense.

If not re-using an existing building the Chumir west lot might work for a downtown school. I think there's enough space for a small play field, a gym, and say a 4 storey building. Another spot that would have been great is the Lougheed House, but I don't see the house going anywhere soon. Geographically both spots are in the centre of the Beltline/Mission/Downtown.

1726082595117.png

Whenever the Eau Clair site is redeveloped, they should have a school portion. Probably a good way for a developer to tap into public money. Curious if a developer has done something like that before...

I think the school boards are loathe to differentiate from their required design standards, so anything unique on an urban parcel is probably difficult to determine.

Speaking of Eau Claire, any guesses as to what happens to that area now that the Greenline is dead? Will they demolish the mall and townhome complex? Just turn around and sell / lease them out? Leave them as fenced off abandoned buildings?

I expect them to sit abandoned and fenced off for a while. It would be awesome if they leased out the townhomes and the market (maybe to the Calgary Farmers Market) until they decide what the next step is.

Haultain Park would be a good site for a school as well. You could manage a school nearly twice the size of St Monica (if built to 3 storeys) on the old school and tennis courts, and the playground and field already exists. Minimal negative impact to the public, and I’m sure we can find a place for more tennis courts.

Back