Votes: 39 35.5%
  • So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
So that’ll make three sets of triplets for Calgary. Will soon become the city of triplets instead of city of twins.
Yeah - and Curtis Block “One” will eventually be triplets as well. 🙁
For WVT - At least vary the height or rotate the towers to one another.

I wish Calgary could graduate into the 50-80 storey residential club.

Yeah - and Curtis Block “One” will eventually be triplets as well. 🙁
For WVT - At least vary the height or rotate the towers to one another.

I wish Calgary could graduate into the 50-80 storey residential club.
It'll happen eventually but for now I'm happy with the skyline getting filled in with a ton of shorter towers

My personal preference is for a higher number of smaller buildings. 2 or 3 really tall towers in the say 50-60 storey range would be cool, but I'm getting tired of the towers in the 30-40 storey range. If someone offered me the choice of 4 x 35 storey towers or 25 x Block on 4th type buildings I'd take the 25 Block on 4th type buildings.

The land use for the 3rd tower goes to CPC this week.
Report, Background, Proposed DC Bylaw, DP Summary, Applicant Submission, CA Submission

From the DP summary we can confirm it is similar height to the other 2 towers, at 41 stories. It also has a slightly different podium design, now incorporating a bit of a collonade:
1685977364838.png

1685977497858.png

1685977544588.png

1685977565168.png

1685977593132.png

1685977645746.png

1685977683493.png

At least this one sits relatively in the middle of the other 2. I look forward to the podium still looking like utter garbage too.
Our downtown bonusing rules need work - a few more unactivate-able windswept corporate plazas aren't worth anything as supply of those in the city centre approaches infinite. More people is better and big towers aren't in themselves the issue - unless they trigger "street blindness" on how good urban spaces, podiums and ground-orientation work, as it seems to continue to be the case here.

Of the 3 corners of the overall site, none will have immediate access to retail or the buildings themselves, instead the design continues to insist to awkwardly pull pedestrian traffic to entrances down alleys to be shared with semi-trucks, through this colonnade/lobby thing a dozen metres back from the corner, or down the avenues on narrow sidewalks, particularly the least redeemable/least attractive avenue on 9th.

Lots of little and big design decisions here that miss the mark on an attractive urban ground-floor.

Has there ever been an internal circulation map posted of the ground floor? I am having a hard time figuring out how this is imagined to all fit together with all the weird angles, strange semi-truck alley and a bunch of random retail pulled back from the corners.

Back