West District | ?m | ?s | Truman

As much as I love real estate development, and do my best to understand the ins and outs of it, how a city is shaped and formed, marketing of condos is something that continues to baffle me beyond my comprehension. While I know it is parody, this bit from Parks and Rec has always appealed to me. Should be this simple. Good floor plans in a good location.

Crane base has been installed for Parkside. Surprised they will use a crane, given it is a 3 storey project, but maybe the concrete construction means a crane will be more efficient:
1652900050377.png

Another teaser for Oak & Olive I think on Truman's website. While I am not sure (so won't update the community map yet), this location is in alignment with the fuzzier drawing on the previous page, across from Gateway. Good news is it shows retail on the back of what appears to be that Save on Foods, so Broadcast Avenue will continue to be a very nice retail high-street:
1653160005501.png

The application brief for Oak & Olive has been posted on the West District community website. Includes lots of details about the project, and confirms that there will be a medium format grocery store as well to the west of it, but that the grocery store will still have retail fronting broadcast avenue. I have updated the community map to include this grocery store as its own project, even though it is being marketed/tied to Oak & Olive.
1654034226982.png

Renderings / images from the appliction brief:
1654025486203.png

1654025610062.png

Pardon the lines down the middle of these, I was doing my best to stitch them together via paint.
1654025713283.png

1654025843901.png

1654026142309.png

1654026168940.png
1654026201107.png

1654026231467.png

Last edited:
I was hoping that Truman would develop mirror Gateway towers with retail on the North side of Broadcast avenue instead of another supermarket (with south facing retail 😒.... ????) also more surface parking. There's a no frills and a Co-op just on 85th.

This is rather disappointing.

I was hoping that Truman would develop mirror Gateway towers with retail on the North side of Broadcast avenue instead of another supermarket (with south facing retail 😒.... ????) also more surface parking. There's a no frills and a Co-op just on 85th.

I don't understand why they aren't putting condos over the supermarket like in University District with Aria. The tower designs are nice though.

Considering the suburban location, I would say this is a major win. As a local resident, I am pretty excited about the fact there will be a 3rd walkable grocery store (rumours of a potential fourth if West Springs Landing lands one as a lead tenent), and the fact that it maintains the retail high street (does any other grocery store in town do this?), I am willing to look past a relatively small surface parking lot at the edge of the community bounded by an arterial road. In terms of units above it, yes that would be ideal, but I am amazed at the density being achieved already with this community. Maybe not a 10/10, but I will gladly take the 9/10 this one seems to be.

Considering the suburban location, I would say this is a major win. As a local resident, I am pretty excited about the fact there will be a 3rd walkable grocery store (rumours of a potential fourth if West Springs Landing lands one as a lead tenent), and the fact that it maintains the retail high street (does any other grocery store in town do this?), I am willing to look past a relatively small surface parking lot at the edge of the community bounded by an arterial road. In terms of units above it, yes that would be ideal, but I am amazed at the density being achieved already with this community. Maybe not a 10/10, but I will gladly take the 9/10 this one seems to be.
Fully agree. This is a significantly better designed grocery development than CO-OP Midtown, which is obviously in a far more urban setting with much higher pedestrian traffic. Turns out you can line a big-box store with more human scale, pedestrian fronting retail and wide sidewalks. Sure we could have put the grocery entrance on the SW corner intersection, but this is the next best thing with retail activating what would have been a big blank full-block wall.

My only critique is the classic problem of these large, master-planned communities - they are internally consistent, but struggle to integrate to their surround developments.

In other cities, some of the struggle for large projects to integrate to each other is mitigated by the focus on public arterials; random developments integrate to the major street that drives the consistency, pedestrian and transit-focus. Over time the corridor is the destination, not the developments themselves.

Calgary doesn't do this well because we don't believe in street-fronting activity on a large portion of suburban streets. 85th Street SW - one of our better designed suburban stretches - we still don't really believe activity should front directly on these types of streets so force all the off-corridor development, strip malls and store entrances in inefficient places.

Because it's all Truman, this is somewhat mitigated in the area in general by the scale of what is being done - if we can't use 85 Street as the main street, we will just create our own. Large enough developments can get away with this if they execute well. Even still, the integration challenge is visible to the north of the grocery site, where the strip mall to the north is just walled off and not planned together at all.

Overall though - this is exactly what we want in the burbs and frankly many far more urban places that 85 Street (although I wish it was built at 69 Street Station rather than the north end of 85 Street).

Last edited:
And one other one being previewed for West District, called The Mondrian. Not much info for it, other than it is in West District:
So I am not sure how official this information is, but I have found some more information on The Mondrian project. Still not 100% sure where it will be in West District, but if you look at the Application Brief for Oak & Olive, it contains a development key for the neighbourhood on page 11, which says the buildings directly east of Gateway and Oak & Olive will be emerging developments in 2022, so maybe it is one of them?
1654805104791.png

Anyway, the information comes from a realtor's website and youtube channel. Not a lot of details, but some renderings of the project (again, not 100% how accurate this is):
1654805205752.png

1654805343839.png

1654805381830.png

1654805412059.png

1654805435037.png

1654805460165.png

1654805484582.png

1654805515688.png

1654805553852.png

1654805634088.png

1654805662276.png

So I am not sure how official this information is, but I have found some more information on The Mondrian project. Still not 100% sure where it will be in West District, but if you look at the Application Brief for Oak & Olive, it contains a development key for the neighbourhood on page 11, which says the buildings directly east of Gateway and Oak & Olive will be emerging developments in 2022, so maybe it is one of them?
View attachment 406120
Anyway, the information comes from a realtor's website and youtube channel. Not a lot of details, but some renderings of the project (again, not 100% how accurate this is):
View attachment 406121
View attachment 406123
View attachment 406124
View attachment 406125
View attachment 406126
View attachment 406128
View attachment 406130
View attachment 406131
View attachment 406132
View attachment 406133
View attachment 406135
Really like this design, only wished they aligned the windows, would've shown design restraint and been more understated/sophisticated IMO.

Back