Votes: 7 58.3%
  • So So

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I actually really like the way this one turned out :)

2017 Jan 20 080.JPG

Attachments

• 2017 Jan 20 080.JPG
    2017 Jan 20 080.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 352
Ended up being a lot nicer than 5 west. I wish this was in EV to give EV some more variety.

No thank you. I'd rather EV be a forward-facing neighborhood, not one that tries to recreate 1930s New York.

The only reason this building looks decent is because expectations were extremely low considering how 5 West turned out.

Last edited:
I do like how this one turned out, particularly in the way it filled in a small parcel with some significant density. The area is actually really well located and is the natural bridge between the Beltline and Sunnyside/Hillhurst to connect the city's more vibrant neighbourhoods.

I think that the big part of the picture missing with this development (and all other developments in Downtown West / west end of downtown) is the lack of a quality pedestrian realm, which is of course outside of the scope of this one project alone. That entire west end's public realm has been sacrificed for peak-commute hour capacity movements for decades, which in turn encourages underwhelming ground-floor designs in projects likes this. City projects like the 8th Street Revitalization (if that ever actually happens) will be important to leverage all the density into increased vibrancy.

No thank you. I'd rather EV be a forward-facing neighborhood, not one that tries to recreate 1930s New York.

The only reason this building looks decent is because expectations were extremely low considering how 5 West turned out.
The concern I have with EV is the way the buildings all look alike to me. If not this building then something like the Bentall building on 12th street would be good. Anytbhing to get away from the standard glass and spandrel tower.

I do like how this one turned out, particularly in the way it filled in a small parcel with some significant density. The area is actually really well located and is the natural bridge between the Beltline and Sunnyside/Hillhurst to connect the city's more vibrant neighbourhoods.

I think that the big part of the picture missing with this development (and all other developments in Downtown West / west end of downtown) is the lack of a quality pedestrian realm, which is of course outside of the scope of this one project alone. That entire west end's public realm has been sacrificed for peak-commute hour capacity movements for decades, which in turn encourages underwhelming ground-floor designs in projects likes this. City projects like the 8th Street Revitalization (if that ever actually happens) will be important to leverage all the density into increased vibrancy.
I like how Vogue is slotted in between the buildings on a small parcel and not on a block filling podium.

I like how Vogue is slotted in between the buildings on a small parcel and not on a block filling podium.

Yeah, I like that too. It's very urban-feeling in that respect. If only the glass were of higher quality, and the tops of the pillars on top of the building had decorative friezes, this would be a fine example of new-age Art Deco.

The concern I have with EV is the way the buildings all look alike to me. If not this building then something like the Bentall building on 12th street would be good. Anytbhing to get away from the standard glass and spandrel tower.
I'm okay with the glass and spandrel for a good chunk of EV, but would like to see buildings of other materials in the neighborhood.....the caveat being that they be lower rise, smaller buildings.

A mix of materials is welcome, as long as they are designed in a contemporary way. A design like Vogue, which basically goes back a century for design-inspiration, would stick out like a sore thumb in the area. I really like that EV is a forward-facing neighborhood from a design standpoint...even when they re-purpose something like Simmons block, it works well with the newer architecture.

A mix of materials is welcome, as long as they are designed in a contemporary way. A design like Vogue, which basically goes back a century for design-inspiration, would stick out like a sore thumb in the area. I really like that EV is a forward-facing neighborhood from a design standpoint...even when they re-purpose something like Simmons block, it works well with the newer architecture.
Agreed. I actually like Vogue, truth be told, but not in EV. I'd be okay with something like Royal View east which uses brick, or a Maxwell bates type building that uses brick and older factory style windows.

Yeah, Royal View East could replace The Hat any day!

Reactions: AJX
NO to introducing this garbage to The East Village and lowering the architectural standard there.

Back