University District | ?m | ?s | University of Calgary Properties Group

Varsity Courts townhouses demolition:
IMG_6513_6521exp.jpg

While the buildings themselves are nothing special, I do fear the loss of relatively affordable housing for families close to the campus. These homes served as a landing spot for many new graduate students and their families to Calgary, and provided accessible housing, close to campus. What's the plan to fill that gap?

The next big project has been applied for. No further details that I can see as of yet:
Looks like this one might be another one by Avi

No renderings yet but I suspect these are both refering to that new DP

While the buildings themselves are nothing special, I do fear the loss of relatively affordable housing for families close to the campus. These homes served as a landing spot for many new graduate students and their families to Calgary, and provided accessible housing, close to campus. What's the plan to fill that gap?
Does the University have any plans to build new housing in its place?

I also wanted to mention how busy it was when I was at U/D. The neighborhood isn't even half built (going by number of units) and it's busy every time I'm there. There's no question U/D is going to be a very busy place once it's built out. Still under construction are 814 units from: Block 15, Capella, The Forge, Argyle, and Dean's Landing, and possibly more where the University Family housing was. It's not just the area residents, but a lot of people from the nearby burbs seem to be flocking there to get a piece of urban style life.

There are a crapload of northwest suburbs, and not one of them has a walkable street so I can see why they flock to University District.
You know Northwest Calgary is starved for anything remotely urban when the university district’s two block high Street is attracting people from all over.

Going through all that effort to build an urban community, integrated into a university full of cash-strapped students, perfectly sized for small/medium sized trips...and then not having any bike lanes...it's just mind-boggling.

This was the easiest of layups... and they didn't even try to make a basket. They didn't even show up for the game. They may not have ever even heard of basketball.

Last edited:
Going through all that effort to build an urban community, integrated into a university full of cash-strapped students, perfectly sized for small/medium sized trips...and then not having any bike lanes...it's just mind-boggling.

This was the easiest of layups... and they didn't even try to make a basket. They didn't even show up for the game. They may not have ever even heard of basketball.
I'll err on the side of optimism. The community has so much going for it that surely bike lanes will be added at some point...

If they're putting the bike lanes on Kovitz I'm pretty sure they'll be extending that road once they start that next phase where the family housing will be, so in the long run it will essentially run parallel to university Ave all the way to the campus, so in my mind that doesn't seem like a huge trade of.

Back