University District | ?m | ?s | University of Calgary Properties Group

New Land Use

IMG_4697.jpg
Lol Self Storage... also saw a headline this morning that Canadian retail spending is up. Correlation or causation? There's also the headlines of Canadian debt to GDP to consider. Almost like we're in a race to the bottom.

New Land Use

IMG_4697.jpg
I’m guessing the self storage would be site 2, and site 1 would be retail. A bit odd to have storage here though, especially facing the children’s hospital. Are they planning to build a parkade or something for Children’s to replace the lot? Although we have an excess of surface parking, a hospital is somewhere we actually need parking.

Great to see another empty parcel slated for something, but I'll hold off on my excitement of this new land use until I see what's proposed for Site 1. The phrase "modifying Block 21, the retail/office parcel located directly west of Save-on-Foods on
University Ave and Childrens Way NW, to become a mix of uses along University Ave" is concerning. I hope they modifying the land use for retail/residential along University Ave and not something stupid like a big box store. Although at 35m height it would more likely be a residential building.

Great to see another empty parcel slated for something, but I'll hold off on my excitement of this new land use until I see what's proposed for Site 1. The phrase "modifying Block 21, the retail/office parcel located directly west of Save-on-Foods on
University Ave and Childrens Way NW, to become a mix of uses along University Ave" is concerning. I hope they modifying the land use for retail/residential along University Ave and not something stupid like a big box store. Although at 35m height it would more likely be a residential building.
The DMAP had a bit more detail on the site 1 uses they're applying for. They're keeping their options open but no big box store in the works.
  • Site 1: (DC/C-COR1) the addition of the permitted uses of Artist's Studio, Billiard Parlor, Computer Games Facility, Food Kiosk, Health Care Service, Outdoor Cafe, Restaurant: Food Service Only, Restaurant: Licensed, Seasonal Sales Area
  • the addition of the discretionary uses of Amusement Arcade, Community Recreation Facility, Drinking Establishment - Large, Dinner Theatre, Funeral Home, Kennel - Urban, Parking Lot - Grade (temporary), Performing Arts Centre
I didn't know this but permitted means it must be allowed if it meets bylaw requirements whereas discretionary, the city has some say over whether to approve based on the surrounding environment, etc.

A new project for the University District area, but not part of the actual outline plan has been applied for. The expansion of the Ronald McDonald House.
RMHC-Calgary-V01.jpg

I've updated the community project tracking map to show this one, and have switched Alt hotel to complete.
1689354505693.png

Visited their presentation centre a few weeks back. In terms of residential, the next building to come on will be townhomes just north of Capella. Then they're going to switch to building out the south side for phase 2. Phase 3 will be the old student housing that was recently torn down on the North East corner.

Visited their presentation centre a few weeks back. In terms of residential, the next building to come on will be townhomes just north of Capella. Then they're going to switch to building out the south side for phase 2. Phase 3 will be the old student housing that was recently torn down on the North East corner.
This may be me being uninformed, but why not the blocks surrounding the central park and central block? There's like 7 or 8 parcels south of University Ave that would go a long way to connecting UD to campus, and filling out around the park. Even directly north of the Children's Hospital has nothing planned as far as I'm aware.

It seems strange that they wouldn't try to realize the investment infrastructure already completed before making another huge commitment.

Which developer will be doing the phase 3 parcel?

This may be me being uninformed, but why not the blocks surrounding the central park and central block? There's like 7 or 8 parcels south of University Ave that would go a long way to connecting UD to campus, and filling out around the park. Even directly north of the Children's Hospital has nothing planned as far as I'm aware.

It seems strange that they wouldn't try to realize the investment infrastructure already completed before making another huge commitment.
The area directly north of Children's is going to be storefronts and storage, there was a DP posted a few pages back. I think the area around the central block maybe rentals and offices? I was inquiring about potential to purchase so they didn't go into too much detail on the other stuff.

Which developer will be doing the phase 3 parcel?
I doubt they know yet, sounded like that will be a few years down the line, they're going to build out the south residential neighborhood first. When I met with them they didn't have any details for the small parcel north of Capella, just that they're still negotiating with developers.

Back