News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Unbuilt Projects

nice find CT!

a vivid reminder that the “city planners” choked off and killed a part of the downtown core for half a century.

the same dna exists today, we can see it everywhere all the time.

cmlc is a step in right direction but there is still way more harm than good coming out of that playpen as its called.

everyday we question nonsensical practices, standards, procedures, etc and i cant think of a greater example than this design as a demonstration of how low the bar is for city building in calgary.

support people who get it is all i can say.

Last edited:
The latest amazing design by @MoDA, discovered earlier today by @Colinfill. CMLC released an RFP back in the summer, looks like they may have selected this one? The latest update on the EVMP shows this block (block N) as still available though, so… unsure.

4cd5b0a1-e4cf-4444-b6ee-b9e8f4521eee-jpeg.366323

7600fb91-a6cc-4e69-973d-271a8395d6e2-jpeg.366319

6d27a31e-58d7-4fea-9414-47e3e3c51859-jpeg.366324

3abc9528-6162-47c4-b4bf-36da9ac1b8f2-jpeg.366321

2143816e-bee2-42db-8851-968df1efa2bf-jpeg.366318

Unfortunately for us, CMLC is not moving ahead with our design proposal. Another scheme/developer team has been chosen. We're very proud of the work we produced on this one and felt it would be a shame not to share it on social media! It's great that someone picked it up and started a thread here and I'm curious to see what the successful proponent's design looks like. We can't divulge who our developer partner is, but they are very motivated to find another site to build something of this scale and quality. Stay tuned...

Thanks for letting us know. Very disappointing but I’m sure y’all will crush it once you get the other site.

I've been telling everyone that will listen that the talent to do high quality architecture on important projects resides right here in Calgary. Additionally, there are individuals who work in design firms here that bring absolutely tons of international design experience from around the world. In these times, when funding and money should stay within the Alberta borders to support local (and not just products; services too), its a shame that "starchitects" are still preferred for some of the projects going on. Local talent can more than capably do these projects, if given the chance, the resources, and the trust.

Completely agree that the renders look cool, but skeptical about how realistic they are. Unpopular opinion maybe but seems like renders are getting more conceptual and fluffy to a point where they’re just art instead of representing something that could be a reality. Not sure it’s doing the architects or the public any favours in the end.
We couldn't agree more and it frustrates us to no end when the public (or the city, or community associations, etc.) is sold a beautiful and flashy design, only to have the real thing turn out nothing like the renders. There are more than a handful of projects in our city that we could cite, but you know them. We tend to not release renderings until the designs have developed in great detail detail and cost analyses have been done so that we know what we show is what's going to get built, or at least very very close (see our Livery project, for example). What you haven't seen in our proposal for CMLC are the accompanying highly developed floor plans, building sections, site plans, details, etc. that prove out the concept and build-ability of the project. Renderings can be misleading and if the projects are not executed the right way, it can certainly erode the public's trust in the architects and developers!

Unfortunately for us, CMLC is not moving ahead with our design proposal. Another scheme/developer team has been chosen. We're very proud of the work we produced on this one and felt it would be a shame not to share it on social media! It's great that someone picked it up and started a thread here and I'm curious to see what the successful proponent's design looks like. We can't divulge who our developer partner is, but they are very motivated to find another site to build something of this scale and quality. Stay tuned...
Hi, Perfect project for the place and time. Clear awesome. Concept Morphology/iso diagrams are one of a kind. I was quite excited about the Inglewood project also, Hive. My point is Moda I think is one of the leading practices in Canada, and propose scale appropriate projects, ( for the most part, Mtc) Keep it going. Hope we can cross paths again, and maybe more.

Back