News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Unbuilt Projects

I kinda like that version as well but I wish the buildings weren’t identical twins.
If these 2 are "twins" but the other 4 buildings are different - I'll take it. As long they aren't quadruplets too. Some diversity would be nice. Waterfront next door did not bad at this until the most recent phase that put up many buildings which look all too similar.

Just going through this thread again (because I love it in a bittersweet way) a couple of the more recent (i.e. post 1980's) projects I really wish had got built include:

- Hairy Pontinari on 9th Ave.
View attachment 236532View attachment 236533

- Kings on Fourth - I remember the version posted here plus an earlier PoMo design - I actually liked them both.
View attachment 236534

- Alberta Boot site
View attachment 236535View attachment 236536

and I'm sorry but the Bow at it's originally proposed height would have kicked ass !
View attachment 236537

There are a couple of others no one has posted renderings of yet that I would love to see:
- The Exchange
- The Shard (City Centre)

Thanks all.
Isn't the Harry Pontinari one now being done by One Properties with a pretty similar concept?

Did you guys mean Hariri Pontarini being the architect of the buildings in the first attachment? I have a very very vague recollection of them proposing something, some time ago.

With the current state of things, I wonder how many of the current proposals will end up in this thread?

I came across this unbuilt project for Sunnyside in one of the other threads.

http://www.cbstudioarch.com/portfolio/kensington-luxury-condominium-hotel/

Image10.jpg

Some more obscure proposals for someone to find:
-really obscure: Spray Lakes resort proposal from early 80’s that would have spanned from Tent Ridge at the south of the lake to Mt. Lougheed at the north. Included 4 skiable mountains, several mid rise hotels and a very long gondola lift connecting it all together
some proposed 88 Olympic Venue/infrstructure options which weren't built
A paved Smith-Dorrien Trail
1600112722226.png

Calgary LRT south spurs:
1600113150592.png

Spray Lakes:
1600112906964.png

1600112960244.png

1600112990847.png

1600113271296.png

1600113315806.png

1600113345205.png

1600113665964.png

Bragg Creek:
1600112800654.png

1600112859289.png

1600113613320.png

We could have had that instead of Nakiska? Wonder if the snow on that side would have been better than the east facing Nakiska.

Does anyone know what the old ski hill is on Pigeon Mt is? There is a lookout to Lougheed Mt and Banff Gate Resort is there too.

instead of Nakiska? Wonder if the snow on that side would have been better than the east facing Nakiska.
Yes, instead. As for snow, the bid book said that that valley got the best snow of the entire Rockies range in Alberta. The main resort would have been north facing (sparrowhawk). the secondary would be west facing. Not sure how much higher the elevation of the valley bottom is on the spray side if any.

Yes, instead. As for snow, the bid book said that that valley got the best snow of the entire Rockies range in Alberta. The main resort would have been north facing (sparrowhawk). the secondary would be west facing. Not sure how much higher the elevation of the valley bottom is on the spray side if any.
Thanks for posting those! I had looked them up in Government of Alberta archives in the early 90s but never made copies. Where did you find them?

Tent Ridge (Spray Lakes Resort) and Mt. Shark have similar weather patterns and snowfall to Sunshine as they aren't far away as the crow flies. Tent Ridge is also wind sheltered. Sparrowhawk doesn't get as much snow and much of it would have been exposed above the treeline. It would have been by far the highest lift serviced resort on Canada, topping out around 10,000 ft. In comparison, the current highest lift in Canada is Sunshine's Great Divide Express at 8,900 ft.

The whole Spray Lakes project suffered scope creep. At its most ambitious, a private developer would have taken on Tent Ridge with the government developing Shark and Sparrowhawk and a small area on Mt. Lougheed. Sparrowhawk was thought to be too steep and cold to be commercially successful, so a small beginner pod would have complimented it on Lougheed. Smith Dorrien Trail would have been paved with a tunnel replacing the sketchy climb up from Canmore. A gondola would have linked the four mountains.

The Spray Valley sits at around 5.600 ft so the resort bases would be somewhat higher. Naksiska's base is at 5,000 ft. Louise is at 5,400 ft. Sunshine village is at 7,200 ft. Whistler is at 2,200 ft.

If the UCP had some guts, it would pursue an aggressive mountain tourism strategy as that would be one of the most obvious diversification plays:
-do something to advance redevelopment of Fortress
-build infrastructure and partner to develop Tent Ridge and Mt. Shark
-work with Feds to implement a shuttle bus system in Canmore and Banff in return for more hotel rooms and expansion of Sunshine and Louise

Of course, this is all a dream. Too bad more wasn't done in the 70's.

Another great proposal to see would be the Village Lake Louise plan from the early 70's.

Thanks for posting those! I had looked them up in Government of Alberta archives in the early 90s but never made copies. Where did you find them?

Tent Ridge (Spray Lakes Resort) and Mt. Shark have similar weather patterns and snowfall to Sunshine as they aren't far away as the crow flies. Tent Ridge is also wind sheltered. Sparrowhawk doesn't get as much snow and much of it would have been exposed above the treeline. It would have been by far the highest lift serviced resort on Canada, topping out around 10,000 ft. In comparison, the current highest lift in Canada is Sunshine's Great Divide Express at 8,900 ft.

The whole Spray Lakes project suffered scope creep. At its most ambitious, a private developer would have taken on Tent Ridge with the government developing Shark and Sparrowhawk and a small area on Mt. Lougheed. Sparrowhawk was thought to be too steep and cold to be commercially successful, so a small beginner pod would have complimented it on Lougheed. Smith Dorrien Trail would have been paved with a tunnel replacing the sketchy climb up from Canmore. A gondola would have linked the four mountains.

The Spray Valley sits at around 5.600 ft so the resort bases would be somewhat higher. Naksiska's base is at 5,000 ft. Louise is at 5,400 ft. Sunshine village is at 7,200 ft. Whistler is at 2,200 ft.

If the UCP had some guts, it would pursue an aggressive mountain tourism strategy as that would be one of the most obvious diversification plays:
-do something to advance redevelopment of Fortress
-build infrastructure and partner to develop Tent Ridge and Mt. Shark
-work with Feds to implement a shuttle bus system in Canmore and Banff in return for more hotel rooms and expansion of Sunshine and Louise

Of course, this is all a dream. Too bad more wasn't done in the 70's.

Another great proposal to see would be the Village Lake Louise plan from the early 70's.

Heavy rail to Canmore and Banff, plus a gondola from Banff townsite to Norquay, are a good push in that direction. I assume the feds will require some shuttle bus implementation and maybe restrictions on private vehicles if they are going to fund it through CIB.

I don't see a greenfield development in the Spray Valley in the cards, it would cost a lot of political and financial capital for a pretty thin return relative to expanding/improving the existing operations plus Fortress.

I would be amazed if we got a new ski hill or two beyond Fortress, these are such expensive developments. Revy is over 10 years old now and they still only have 3 chairs?

Fortress should be open next year, Castle is slowly moving their expansion plans forward, Louise has a new chair this season with plans for a few more. Sunshine has an expansion plan, but the Scurfields are not easy to work with, so I expect lots of hurdles for them to jump over. Good days for Alberta skiing / snowboarding!

Back