News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Transit

That would increase the number of people who could walk to the station, but most of the people who would live in that development would still probably use a car for almost all of their other daily trips since the closest commercial areas are still at least a 15 minute walk away.

I find this really interesting, plenty of people in Downtown Toronto are willing to walk 15 minutes for groceries etc. but, remove some density and make the walk a boring slog and nobody wants to.

I find this really interesting, plenty of people in Downtown Toronto are willing to walk 15 minutes for groceries etc. but, remove some density and make the walk a boring slog and nobody wants to.

Boredom and monotony are part of it. It’s also because you can hit multiple places along the way on a 15 minute walk in a downtown. Or, 15 mins from a grocery store is not bad if it’s on your 20-30 min walk back from work.

Also to drive and find parking near a grocery store downtown might take a comparable amount of time to walking.

Lol there's one of Ottawa on that site, yet its system barely even exists yet. But there isn't one for us, even though our system is 4 times the size of what Ottawa's will be. Hmmmmmm...

Lol there's one of Ottawa on that site, yet its system barely even exists yet. But there isn't one for us, even though our system is 4 times the size of what Ottawa's will be. Hmmmmmm...

Pretty sure someone from Ottawa probably made it . . .

Gotta hurry up with the Green Line because Ottawa's system is not going to be a quarter of the size for long, plus their system is fully grade separated and has ATC signalling which puts it quite far above Edmonton and Calgary. It's also probably gonna surpass Calgary's ridership when it opens :/

Not a competition.

Anyways, the City's open data set here has most of the crossovers (the West LRT lacks the one near 69th Street for example). It does have the storage track near the Planetarium. It only has the outdoor tracks at the maintenance facilities:
upload_2018-8-13_9-49-31.png

You can access it here:
https://data.calgary.ca/Transportation-Transit/Tracks-LRT/873d-3sim

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-13_9-49-31.png
    upload_2018-8-13_9-49-31.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 611

Gotta hurry up with the Green Line because Ottawa's system is not going to be a quarter of the size for long, plus their system is fully grade separated and has ATC signalling which puts it quite far above Edmonton and Calgary. It's also probably gonna surpass Calgary's ridership when it opens :/
I doubt the Ottawa system will have higher ridership when it opens. It'll have healthy ridership, and possibly higher than Edmonton's but I doubt it'll be higher than Calgary's. As far as the system being fully grade separated, the whole notion of grade separation is overrated. It's a nice to have for sure, but it's really something more for the transit geeks to dwell on. In the end transit's job is to move people from place to place and try to be cost effective also... grade separated or not. Ottawa's system won't be very extensive, so it makes sense to spend the money on grade separation, but it's not cost effective for Calgary, nor is it needed.

Well said on the issue of grade separation. Calgary could have spent billions on grade separating the whole system, and we’d have how many extra transit riders? Exactly no more than we have today.
The whole situation with the right of way downtown is a different story, I wish that they had done something about that. Rail systems should have the right away end to end , but it doesn’t need to be grade separated that’s just sonething for transit nerds to get a boner.
I doubt the Ottawa system will have higher ridership when it opens. It'll have healthy ridership, and possibly higher than Edmonton's but I doubt it'll be higher than Calgary's. As far as the system being fully grade separated, the whole notion of grade separation is overrated. It's a nice to have for sure, but it's really something more for the transit geeks to dwell on. In the end transit's job is to move people from place to place and try to be cost effective also... grade separated or not. Ottawa's system won't be very extensive, so it makes sense to spend the money on grade separation, but it's not cost effective for Calgary, nor is it needed.

The Ottawa system will be nice, but it’s not going to have higher ridership than Calgary’s.

The Ottawa system will be nice, but it’s not going to have higher ridership than Calgary’s.
It might, but only if you count every portion of linked trips as a trip on it. Calgary apportions linked trips—in a way I care not to learn about because that is pretty arcane even for me—so as to not double count.

Yeah - the next fight (after the greenline extensions are done to reasonable points) will be between a wiz-bang airport transit solution and a downtown tunnel for the red line. They should have a similar price tag. My vote is for downtown first.
Downtown tunnel without a doubt, it's 100X more important than an airport link. I also agree with Cowtown, that grade separation isn't important, but that downtown right-of-way is really annoying. Get rid of that (even if just for the red line) and I couldn't care less if it was ever grade separated.

That and if I’m not mistaken the Ottawa system isn’t an honour system like Calgary’s so you’ll have the exact numbers where is Calgary you won’t because there are number of free riders ...whether on the free fair stretch or using it without paying outside of the free fare zone.
It might, but only if you count every portion of linked trips as a trip on it. Calgary apportions linked trips—in a way I care not to learn about because that is pretty arcane even for me—so as to not double count.

Here's a question, how does Calgary get numbers accurately? How do they count people who have monthly passes, or people who ride the free-far zone?

Back