The Hub | ?m | 28s | Campus Suites | ARK Inc.

General Rating for this project

• Great

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Very Good

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Good

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • So So

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Terrible

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
One step closer now, as the city administration has recommended approval of the DP.

Planning Commission this week, here is the full agenda:
https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Docum...mission/agenda/2017/agenda-cpc-october-05.pdf

Item 5.01, (page 123/303) - This is the land use redesignation of Stampede Station Phase 2. Simple land use redesignation, but there are some interesting details about what Arris REIT has planned. 30 storey apartment building on top of retail, according to the applicant submission on page 132.

Item 5.05 (page 173/303) - The DP for the student housing tower at Banff Trail Station ARP. DP plans start on page 187.

Good to hear. Despite it not being the most fantastic design, I'm looking forward to this one.

Interesting that most (all) of the opposition (in this case, by way of letters) to this proposal came from Briar Hill, south across 16th Avenue. Parking in Briar Hill already requires a Residential Parking Zones: W permit. No chance of extra traffic within the neighbourhood, unless you are counting 19th Street and 16 Avenue as a local impact.

This presages further fights on every new development and likely capital improvement to transit that is anywhere near adjacent to the neighbourhood.

That was indeed the case. Most people in Banff Trail including the community association was positive feedback. I was very surprised to see Briar Hill people complain about traffic issues when they aren't even connected to it. Given that this is right between UofC, and SAIT and is on an LRT line, it makes total sense to build something dense there.

That was indeed the case. Most people in Banff Trail including the community association was positive feedback. I was very surprised to see Briar Hill people complain about traffic issues when they aren't even connected to it. Given that this is right between UofC, and SAIT and is on an LRT line, it makes total sense to build something dense there.

I find the Briar Hills / Rosedales / Mount Royals / Scarboros of Calgary to be some of the most fascinating neighbourhoods in the city in their ability to resist general up-zoning and intensification over significant periods of time despite increasingly prime locations near activity centres and institutions. Nearby neighbourhoods of otherwise similar ages and characteristics don't seem to offer nearly the same resistance. Perhaps it is the significance of the pressure to redevelop itself that triggers coordinated and effective resistance to redevelopment, or perhaps their wealthy character gives residents access to better tools/capacities that allows them to successfully resist changes better. That Briar Hill residents would care about a tower on the other side of what is essentially a freeway and sound wall that they can't even access is ridiculous, but it is likely a manifestation of an existing hyper-sensitivity to change and a track record of successfully preventing it within their neighbourhood.

Either way, it's a good win for students. Calgary's non-wealthy, non-owner, non-family population needs way more wins in way more areas of the city.

haha I was just at McDonalds the other night! Dang, if I'd have known BP was fenced off, I woulda grabbed a pic. Next time.

A few more renderings from the planning document that @MichaelS had pointed out.

Image24.jpg
Image23.jpg
Image22.jpg

Image26.jpg

Attachments

• Image24.jpg
    Image24.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 560
  • Image23.jpg
    Image23.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 532
  • Image22.jpg
    Image22.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 562
  • Image26.jpg
    Image26.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 562
Yeah, this building for ~400 students is going to have literally thousands of people surrounding its outside retail at all times! :p

The new renders look much more promising :)

lol. make it look like Stephen ave! Ironically, it might be one of the few renderings that properly reflect the vibrancy of the building when done. At least in the summer, I can see a lot of students in and around the outside of the building given the restaurant patio, and bike racks, etc. With a lot of carless residents it could be like that at times.
Yeah, this building for ~400 students is going to have literally thousands of people surrounding its outside retail at all times! :p

The new renders look much more promising :)

lol. make it look like Stephen ave! Ironically, it might be one of the few renderings that properly reflect the vibrancy of the building when done. At least in the summer, I can see a lot of students in and around the outside of the building given the restaurant patio, and bike racks, etc. With a lot of carless residents it could be like that at times.

That's true.

But does anyone else LOVE how they turned 16 Ave into a damn river with a Jesus-esque car on it?

Back