Votes: 5 25.0%
  • So So

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
<----- Not always the keenest observer...

I really like this design but its success will come down 100% to execution and the quality of the materials. What's the reputation of the developer and the architect?

But, this is the first time I've ever seen Truman's name attached to an inner-city project. They're more of a single family detached sub-urban company to my knowledge. It doesn't look like this is their only urban infill on the go. They have a pair of projects in and around Kensington called 1741 and Savoy according to their website. Both are in a more modern/contemporary sleek/boxy vein. Very different from even the other multi-family developments they'd done in the past. This development out in Skyview is more along the lines of what I expect from them. And suffice it to say, it does not raise my confidence.

I like the look of Ventus more than anything else they're up to, but you're right if the quality and craftsmanship aren't there this could be a dud. It's all relative though. I've been trying desperately to remember what used to be in this location and I can't get street view to work on my work computer, but if I recall correctly it was some crappy little apartment buildings and one of them always had an add for palm readings in the basement window. This will likely be an improvement.

Crane up

625_0000.jpg

Attachments

• 625_0000.jpg
    625_0000.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 320

But, this is the first time I've ever seen Truman's name attached to an inner-city project. They're more of a single family detached sub-urban company to my knowledge. It doesn't look like this is their only urban infill on the go. They have a pair of projects in and around Kensington called 1741 and Savoy according to their website. Both are in a more modern/contemporary sleek/boxy vein. Very different from even the other multi-family developments they'd done in the past. This development out in Skyview is more along the lines of what I expect from them. And suffice it to say, it does not raise my confidence.

I like the look of Ventus more than anything else they're up to, but you're right if the quality and craftsmanship aren't there this could be a dud. It's all relative though. I've been trying desperately to remember what used to be in this location and I can't get street view to work on my work computer, but if I recall correctly it was some crappy little apartment buildings and one of them always had an add for palm readings in the basement window. This will likely be an improvement.

Yes, used to be two small crumbly apartment buildings there. They had some character, but were a bit (or a lot) rundown, and were set back a ways from the street. This is a decent upgrade, at least on the outside and streetscape.

I managed to get Street View working over the weekend and even saw the tarot card sign in the bottom window. They look to be about 30s or 40s vintage. Loosing the bit history sucks, but this project will mean more elevation, more people and more retail right on 17th. All which are needed. I call it a win. It just wont be a stand out if the execution is cut corner. Maybe this will be Truman's opportunity to wow me.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I thought the Savoy was solid, just right for its location. Funny I don't recall seeing 1741 before.

Edit: Ah, I have seen 1741 before. I thought the name sounded familiar\, but the location didn't ring a bell. It's actually up on 17th ave SW. The show suite is on 19th st NW. I haven't seen 1741 for a while, but it looked promising.

This one moved quick! Seems like only a month ago those 2 old apartment buildings were still there!

Yup, this one has moved along very quickly. I always forget about Ventus, but it'll be a nice little building when it's done.

I really like this design but its success will come down 100% to execution and the quality of the materials. What's the reputation of the developer and the architect?
The developer is solid. I don't know who the architect is, but you are correct in that this will come down to materials in many ways. Good materials and execution could make Ventus a great little development, and a good model for future developments.

for the most part it will be a success even if the materials aren't great, if because the streetscape will be greatly improved over what was there before.

Back