The Fifth | 17m | 5s | Arlington Street | NORR

FF627709-D166-45EF-8C73-7D7C11C0E2FD.jpeg

This development will be a good case study for what happens when you generously size sidewalks on your main street. It's already such an improvement and the summer patio season will further liven it up along with new trees. Generously wide sidewalk area will allow for large patios, trees and not limit huge circulation capacity for pedestrian trafficor force everyone to a narrow strip next to traffic.

Last edited:
This development will be a good case study for what happens when you generously size sidewalks on your main street. It's already such an improvement and the summer patio season will further liven it up along with new trees. Generously wide sidewalk area will allow for large patios, trees and not limit huge circulation capacity for pedestrian traffic or force or force everyone to a narrow strip next to traffic.
Preach

This corner has officially the best sidewalk along 17th Avenue in both quality and size. Cinneholic or not, ever since they removed the construction fencing it seems to have become an informal meet-up/standing around and chatting spot, I am always seeing groups of people standing around here before moving on. My guess is it's really the only part of the whole 17th Avenue sidewalk system wide enough for groups of pedestrians to "pull over" out of the way of busy north-side pedestrian traffic!

Will be really interesting to see how the businesses can take advantage with their patios and street furniture in the coming summer and following years. Should further cement the 5th Street / 17th Avenue corner as Calgary's top patio hub.
Which is crazy considering the other side of the street is a gas station and a parking lot with a repulsive wooden retaining wall and “rock garden” 🤢
It is crazy how busy that intersection is consider two of the corners are a write off. Has anyone heard if there are any plans for the SW corner? That little strip fall is falling apart, and could use a new development.

My crystal ball is showing me that Amato's patio is going be popular. It's too bad there were a couple planters or such. There may still be yet, here's hoping.

This whole intersection is about to go up a notch, just have to get rid of the piece of crap strip mall directly south of it.

Overall I think the fifth turned out okay, but there's something about the materials on the first two stories that just feels cheap. I'm afraid this building might not age super well. I really wish developers would put more effort into at least making their podium materials high quality

Back