The deVille | 52.12m | 13s | Remington | Gibbs Gage

The DP drawings for the new tower are now up. Looks to be a quadruplet, same design as the first 3. About 50 meters tall:
1654109956011.png

I like Quarry Park except for the French Colonial theme. It reclaimed a piece of very unappealing land with mixed use and reasonable density and elaborate landscape design.

Please keep in mind some of the design constraints:
-the Green Line was but a dream with uncertain alignment when QP kicked off
-most of the site had to be raised above floodplain, restricting the depth of underground parking, and requiring a large storm water pond
-residential land use is not possible along 24th St due to the Ecco landfill. The residential setback requirement from a former or active landfill is something like half of a km
-some of the site had methane contamination from organic matter buried during reclamation. This will resolve itself over time but limits foundation depth and building in some locations
-the former Jacobs building (now Worley and Canadian Tire) was a design - build. Remington doesn't own it. At one time Jacobs had a concept to add another building that would be a mirror image on the parking lot. By that point in the future, the methane problem should be resolved. QP has methane venting in some of the commercial buildings
-the perimeter of the Worley parking lot could easily be developed with townhouses similar to the other side of the street
-Imperial has a concept to add buildings to either end of the existing complex of 5 if needed
-parcels 15 through 20 were acquired after QP broke ground. Lafarge owned 20. Inland owned 19. The others were owned by Mancal. They were not part of the plan

In hindsight, QP could be better :
-route Green line down 18th instead of 24th
-build road access off 24th to reduce traffic on 18th. You can see a break in the median slokng 24th of where this would go. This connection was not possible when QP broke ground as Inland owned parcel 19
-the retail, rec centre, professional building and daycare could have been sited where Imperial and Worley are today, closer to the community, with Imperial and Worley taking over the east side of the street. The daycare site could have been another office building
-with the Green Line on 24th, office buildings could be constructed along the east side as well to replace the RV parking

Quarry Landing will be a challenge to develop from a flood mitigation and road access perspective.

Someday I could see the parcel on the NE side of Glenmore-Deerfoot (former Burnco landscape
retail location, Inland Pipe and Eaglequest Golf) redeveloped for mixed use. Unsure if residential could make sense there other than fronting a riverside park. It has similar challenges to Quarry Landing

The DP drawings for the new tower are now up. Looks to be a quadruplet, same design as the first 3. About 50 meters tall:
View attachment 404170
The three towers share a foundation. Wonder if this one will. It might be angled to the point where it can't.

Looks to be brown colored like the existing east and west towers. Would look better if light colored light the existing central tower.

I like Quarry Park except for the French Colonial theme. It reclaimed a piece of very unappealing land with mixed use and reasonable density and elaborate landscape design.

Please keep in mind some of the design constraints:
-the Green Line was but a dream with uncertain alignment when QP kicked off
-most of the site had to be raised above floodplain, restricting the depth of underground parking, and requiring a large storm water pond
-residential land use is not possible along 24th St due to the Ecco landfill. The residential setback requirement from a former or active landfill is something like half of a km
-some of the site had methane contamination from organic matter buried during reclamation. This will resolve itself over time but limits foundation depth and building in some locations
-the former Jacobs building (now Worley and Canadian Tire) was a design - build. Remington doesn't own it. At one time Jacobs had a concept to add another building that would be a mirror image on the parking lot. By that point in the future, the methane problem should be resolved. QP has methane venting in some of the commercial buildings
-the perimeter of the Worley parking lot could easily be developed with townhouses similar to the other side of the street
-Imperial has a concept to add buildings to either end of the existing complex of 5 if needed
-parcels 15 through 20 were acquired after QP broke ground. Lafarge owned 20. Inland owned 19. The others were owned by Mancal. They were not part of the plan

In hindsight, QP could be better :
-route Green line down 18th instead of 24th
-build road access off 24th to reduce traffic on 18th. You can see a break in the median slokng 24th of where this would go. This connection was not possible when QP broke ground as Inland owned parcel 19
-the retail, rec centre, professional building and daycare could have been sited where Imperial and Worley are today, closer to the community, with Imperial and Worley taking over the east side of the street. The daycare site could have been another office building
-with the Green Line on 24th, office buildings could be constructed along the east side as well to replace the RV parking

Quarry Landing will be a challenge to develop from a flood mitigation and road access perspective.

Someday I could see the parcel on the NE side of Glenmore-Deerfoot (former Burnco landscape
retail location, Inland Pipe and Eaglequest Golf) redeveloped for mixed use. Unsure if residential could make sense there other than fronting a riverside park. It has similar challenges to Quarry Landing
I'm an irrational rage machine... I didn't know the piecemeal of acquisitions for some of this site and that does explain some of the choices as well as the landfill being right next door but I do still think there were a lot of misses.

QP is easily salvageable with the improvements I mentioned:
-build townhouses around the periphery of the Worley parking lot
-build offices along the east side of 24th, proximal to the QP Green Line Station
-build access off 24th
-develop South Hill ToD by the City

Back