The deVille | 52.12m | 13s | Remington | Gibbs Gage

Doesn't look bad from that angle. Reminds me a lot Stella/Luna
Yeah, I prefer it from this side versus the back side. I'm curious what the final landscaping/etc will look like, up close right now on the ground level it's got some pretty brutalist concrete going on but might not be finished so I won't judge anything yet.

n4AYB6D.png
XNzlVUE.jpg
P2KILux.jpg

I heard a rumor that this project is going so well, that a 4th tower maybe be built in the parking lot slightly to northwest. At one time, Remington proposed a hotel for the site that ultimately became the Deville, so maybe a hypothetical 4th tower could be rental, hotel or condo. Regardless, these 3 towers should liven up the retail at Quarry Park Market.

I wonder what Remington will do with the land to the south of the rec center? It had been proposed as a design-build-sell office campus similar to the model and scale of the Imperial Oil complex. Given that Calgary has enough vacant office space to last for decades, the only reasonable uses I envision would be retail or multi-unit residential.

Remington also bought the former Lafarge site across the river. You can see some fill that has been stockpiled to eventually raise the site above flood plain. Years ago, Remington indicated that it would tie plans to the Province's intent for Deerfoot improvements as re-engineering the Deerfoot-Anderson-Bow Bottom interchange will change access to the site, and possibly involve some land reconfiguration. I can't see that site being suitable to anything other than office or retail. The site prep and transportation access costs would likely be too high to support retail. It would make a great site for office space, possibly with a riverfront pathway and pededrian bridge connecting to the rest of Quarry Park.

I heard a rumor that this project is going so well, that a 4th tower maybe be built in the parking lot slightly to northwest. At one time, Remington proposed a hotel for the site that ultimately became the Deville, so maybe a hypothetical 4th tower could be rental, hotel or condo. Regardless, these 3 towers should liven up the retail at Quarry Park Market.

I wonder what Remington will do with the land to the south of the rec center? It had been proposed as a design-build-sell office campus similar to the model and scale of the Imperial Oil complex. Given that Calgary has enough vacant office space to last for decades, the only reasonable uses I envision would be retail or multi-unit residential.

Remington also bought the former Lafarge site across the river. You can see some fill that has been stockpiled to eventually raise the site above flood plain. Years ago, Remington indicated that it would tie plans to the Province's intent for Deerfoot improvements as re-engineering the Deerfoot-Anderson-Bow Bottom interchange will change access to the site, and possibly involve some land reconfiguration. I can't see that site being suitable to anything other than office or retail. The site prep and transportation access costs would likely be too high to support retail. It would make a great site for office space, possibly with a riverfront pathway and pededrian bridge connecting to the rest of Quarry Park.

Fourth tower would be interesting, I have always assumed that plot was going to be for visitor parking for the three buildings.

As far as the Lafarge lands that Remington bought west of Deerfoot, there's actually already a pathway on that side of the river.. but it's fairly industrial on the other side of the fence still so not the prettiest scenery around there right now. I remember years ago seeing some sort of mock up they did and I think it included a pedestrian bridge, but I can't see the site being a huge priority for Remington anytime soon.

That path has been there since the 80's, off and on. Flooding and erosion have repeatedly closed it. I wasn't sure if it had reopened post 2013.

The pathway on the east side of the river has a fork leading to the island created when the city built fish habitat channels in 2017 which lines up with Lafarge's pre-Quarry Park bridge. Maybe that is the location for a future pedestrian bridge.

Looks like Remington is going forward with a 4th tower, but maybe apartments and not a hotel:

Interesting, they must be having some good uptake so far. Construction seems to be decently underway at the NW corner on that large warehouse/bay building now as well. Lots of heavy equipment on site.

Dug around a bit and found this, bit more clarity on timelines perhaps. I was surprised that they're considering resurrecting that long abandoned building off 24th in 2023. It also highlights that fourth parcel by Deville as a future hotel, so you could be onto something there.

pvFpLM2.png

Source: http://www.remingtoncorp.com/site/assets/files/1077/quarry_park_amenities_-_january_2022.pdf
Quarry Landing will be interesting... very isolated from almost anything except the dog park. I bet they're waiting to see what happens with the Southland/Anderson/Bow Bottom interchanges and any possible changes to them before doing anything but sitting on this property.

Quarry Landing will be interesting... very isolated from almost anything except the dog park. I bet they're waiting to see what happens with the Southland/Anderson/Bow Bottom interchanges and any possible changes to them before doing anything but sitting on this property.

I haven't been able to find it anywhere, but the original plans had some sort of pedestrian bridge going basically right where the original Lafarge bridge used to be.

I haven't been able to find it anywhere, but the original plans had some sort of pedestrian bridge going basically right where the original Lafarge bridge used to be.

Found a pdf online from August 2015 stating:

Quarry Park’s New Addition: Quarry Landing

Most residents in Quarry Park are familiar with the Lafarge
manufacturing facility located directly across the Bow River.
Remington Development has acquired this land with plans and
a vision for redevelopment. Branded as Quarry Landing, the
site will one day include an office campus, supporting retail
and potentially a hotel.
Quarry Park and Quarry Landing may
also be connected by a pedestrian and cycle bridge. Remington
Development is working with the City of Calgary and other
stakeholders on this exciting addition to Quarry Park.

Looking through the PDF you posted I see they kind of telegraphed some phasing for their office campuses... Crossing II (14), Quarry Station (16), and Quarry Station Island (18) all have a 2023 beside them (whatever that means?) and as ahuch says there's heavy equipment on site for 16. That leaves me to assume Quarry Rise will not do so for a couple years at least (2026? Or maybe not until the Green Line is operational). Meaning the landing is stuck until a few years after that (2030? Or maybe even 2035). That would put the full build out from 2005 to 2035 at 30 years.
Quarry.JPG

In my opinion, Quarry Park is a awful development. It summarizes everything wrong with suburban development all in one place. Sure, its a mix of everything (business, a variety of residential, and retail) but outside of the French design this has to be the worst land redevelopment in the city's history. Look at that slide, its at least 50% parking lot. The Green Line station will end up being kilometers from any residence. And that's just naming the things off the top of my head that I hate. If you asked someone to take this blank piece of land from 2005 and draw their dream community and they came up with this, would you not have some questions for them? Shame, shame on Remington. Thank god their land just north of the Stampede Grounds has been turned into a parking lot. Because at least it still has potential, unlike Quarry Park.

Back