Votes: 24 58.5%
  • So so

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There will be an actual fence, guaranteed. The only question is if it will be high quality and transparent or low quality, opaque, and oppressive.

It's also my hope that the building operator takes that into consideration, as it's probably the only real impetus they'll have to make the barrier as unobtrusive as possible.

For the record maestro, I never said rich people and poor people are different. The reality is, if I build something (or buy it) with my own money, I don't have to share it with anyone I don't want to. This is what public spaces are for. If you want a private skating rink, buy one (which residents of the Concord are doing). If you can't afford it, use Olympic plaza. I'm saying this as a person who can't afford the Concord.

I would be happy with a rod iron fence separating the Concord from the public. Very classy look and will visually allow the complex to flow into the public realm. Even though we can't go in, the illusion that everything is connected will make it appear as such.

You're right. I did misread your post.

Concord took the easiest route here and I really hope it backfires on them. I do hope you're wrong that there are enough rich in Calgary that rather skate at Olympic Plaza than on a private rink but, even if there aren't, there wasn't anything from stopping Concord with coming up with a more integrated design that still offers the private enclave. This is what Concord is known for in Vancouver afterall ... making use of podium rooftops for all sorts of amenity features.

There will be an actual fence, guaranteed. The only question is if it will be high quality and transparent or low quality, opaque, and oppressive.
I would guess that it would be higher quality with some transparency. If I were an owner in the building, I would want some privacy, but an oppressive fence from the outside = oppressive to me on the inside.

Then I hope it's a combination of a living wall (simple hedges) and a decorative fence. Hedges blend in with surrounding landscaping. Nothing says "stay out" more than a fence. It's the wrong location for it.

Then I hope it's a combination of a living wall (simple hedges) and a decorative fence. Hedges blend in with surrounding landscaping. Nothing says "stay out" more than a fence. It's the wrong location for it.
Well, the flood wall could be some what high, as the 100 year flood way come right up to the property line.
upload_2017-12-13_10-10-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-13_10-10-36.png
    upload_2017-12-13_10-10-36.png
    581.9 KB · Views: 616
Yes, this property wasn't even flooded in the Great Flood of 2013, and even still will have one of the best flood protection systems in the Americas when complete. The wall is just for that "visible" layer of protection for the residents.

Yes, this property wasn't even flooded in the Great Flood of 2013, and even still will have one of the best flood protection systems in the Americas when complete. The wall is just for that "visible" layer of protection for the residents.
And the bathtub effect like the zoo - without a deep wall, flooding could come up through the ground too.

The Bow didn't experience a 1:100 flood though (was 1:40 IIRC), so the water level would still be quite a bit higher than in 2013, and that is what Concord should be accommodating. The Elbow was more like a 1:60 flood in 2013, could probably look it up but I should really be working right now lol.

They've raised the grade of that entire area between The Concord and the Bow river significantly with the West Eau Claire park improvements. The old pathway all the way to Eau Claire has been raised at least a couple feet minimum as well. There's also a 50 foot +/- stretch of a concrete wall that's going in about where Eau Claire Estates is (the all brick condo buildings).

The Bow didn't experience a 1:100 flood though (was 1:40 IIRC), so the water level would still be quite a bit higher than in 2013, and that is what Concord should be accommodating. The Elbow was more like a 1:60 flood in 2013, could probably look it up but I should really be working right now lol.

The water levels were higher than they've been in a century, no?

Edit: The city measures 2013 as a benchmark for a 1:100, but it is considered on the graph to be around the 1:80 mark.

Source: http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Pag...gary/Calgary-river-flows-historical-data.aspx

Back