Votes: 24 58.5%
  • So so

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am nervous about how the developer will handle the fencing between the public area and the landscaped garden/skating rink between the two Concord's. In typical Calgary fashion, they might just black out the barrier. I am sincerely hoping they don't, but, we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully it's just a nice rod-iron fence :)

The private grounds are the worst part of this project from a city-building perspective... it's pretty much a gated community in high rise form. A project in this type of location should look to integrate into the area, not lock itself out.

But yeah, if they have them, the last thing I want is to be able to see it.

I mean, this is a complex with units starting at $1.2 million... so of course it's going to be gated off. Rich people aren't exactly the "hey let's share all the nice stuff I paid for" types in my experience, unless it's with close family and friends, not thousands/millions of strangers. A green wall would be fantastic, but again, knowing Calgary, it will be a black tarp over a fence like Manhattan on First Street SW.

I disagree. If I paid a million bucks for a private skating rink and courtyard I would not want to share it with the public. Not everything has to be for everyone.

I disagree as well. Rich people aren't any different from other people.

I don't blame the rich for wanting it. I blame the city for allowing such an inward focused space in a relatively prominent location.

The lack of any interaction between the riverfront and the buildings in Eau Claire is one of the biggest issues in that area. I'm not saying they need to turn it into the Atlantic City Boardwalk, but it sure would be nice to have a few cafe or restaurant patios that look out onto the park space. Right now the only building that interfaces with the river along the entire downtown pathway system is the Simmons building in East Village (and even that is a bit muted).

The worst thing they could do from a public space standpoint is put up walls or barriers in front. That said...I guess if lived on the main level I might like the separation. IMO, it's better to side on the public good rather than two or three people, but of course, it's not my dime.

I think based on the price point/targeted market we always knew this would be a vertical suburb of sorts, at least it should look nice. While that amenity space between the buildings will be off limits I'm just happy that the Delta gardens area is going in by the Peace bridge.

I think based on the price point/targeted market we always knew this would be a vertical suburb of sorts, at least it should look nice. While that amenity space between the buildings will be off limits I'm just happy that the Delta gardens area is going in by the Peace bridge.
For sure. Really looking forward to seeing the Peace Bridge area this summer when all the greenery comes back. It looks good even now in the winter.

A green wall would be fantastic, but again, knowing Calgary, it will be a black tarp over a fence like Manhattan on First Street SW.

I thought it would never happen but they've opened up that black tarp as part of the 1 Street reconstruction. Hopefully it's permanent because it looks a LOT better. Welcome back to the city, Manhattan. Hopefully that wasn't too soon.

For the record maestro, I never said rich people and poor people are different. The reality is, if I build something (or buy it) with my own money, I don't have to share it with anyone I don't want to. This is what public spaces are for. If you want a private skating rink, buy one (which residents of the Concord are doing). If you can't afford it, use Olympic plaza. I'm saying this as a person who can't afford the Concord.

I would be happy with a rod iron fence separating the Concord from the public. Very classy look and will visually allow the complex to flow into the public realm. Even though we can't go in, the illusion that everything is connected will make it appear as such.

Isn't the fence a flood wall?
upload_2017-12-12_11-56-0.png

upload_2017-12-12_11-56-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_11-56-0.png
    upload_2017-12-12_11-56-0.png
    418.6 KB · Views: 626
  • upload_2017-12-12_11-56-47.png
    upload_2017-12-12_11-56-47.png
    410.2 KB · Views: 609
I don't blame the rich for wanting it. I blame the city for allowing such an inward focused space in a relatively prominent location.

The lack of any interaction between the riverfront and the buildings in Eau Claire is one of the biggest issues in that area. I'm not saying they need to turn it into the Atlantic City Boardwalk, but it sure would be nice to have a few cafe or restaurant patios that look out onto the park space. Right now the only building that interfaces with the river along the entire downtown pathway system is the Simmons building in East Village (and even that is a bit muted).

I agree completely with the river park system's integration (or lack-there-of) with the development adjacent to it is a major problem - or at least major missed opportunity - for the centre city. The inner river pathway network is such a great asset for the city, it's a bit surprising more haven't tried to exploit it for its potential. Of course, it's likely a multi-faceted problem: the City's primary land manager in the area (Parks) has historically had no incentive to allow other uses (both cultural and regulatory barriers are responsible), developers have always positioned the river as a wealthy housing-only vertical enclave, a highly variable and seasonal volume of people makes traditional retail more challenging, a relatively low inner city population makes the market less attractive etc.

Of course, there is nothing that stops other cities from having vibrant pedestrian-only areas like the - Peace Bridge to East Village pathway - full of retail. However, often it comes down to how stakeholders view the role of public park land and the transition between it and private land uses to determine what happens in that space. Fore example, a park can be for protecting nature/watershed or it can be designed strictly to support human activities, it can be designed for just walking through or to encourage, it can be a refuge from commercial interests like patios and cafes or is it enhanced by encouraging them etc. Many European cities have no problem hosting weekend markets and seasonal beer gardens right in the middle of parks, much to their benefit - assuming vibrant public spaces are what we want in parks. If you want a relaxing space away from it all and to go for a run, this might not be the best design for you.

Personally, I view Calgary's inner city river pathway/park network as the city's best asset - and most under-utilized. We have traditionally approached parks in this city from a very single-use, very suburban mindset. Parks are for recreation activities that involve movement - walk, run, bike - and that's it. Hanging out is not something that is encouraged unless its for a programmed festival like Folk Fest or a formal fancy dinner like the River Cafe. Everything is "safe" (i.e. family-friendly). While that is beginning to change (Peace Bridge as a meetup/hangout spot, new designs with way more seating space, far better connections to the areas around with Memorial Drive crossings and the cycletracks etc.) it's the mindset of the public and City departments that will take the most effort to reform. I am very optimistic, but it is also clear we have a long way to go.

I disagree. If I paid a million bucks for a private skating rink and courtyard I would not want to share it with the public. Not everything has to be for everyone.

That's... literally exactly what I said.

Back