The Bridge | 52.42m | 16s | Jemm Properties | Zeidler

One thing I just noticed and dislike is the front parking along the 9th street side. It moves the street away from becoming a main street and more of "lifestyle centre" you'd see in the States or even in cities like Metro Van/Toronto. They are known to fail in creating the sort of vibrancy a main street creates.I think they should move the retail parking to the back/side or just leave it as on street parking with wider sidewalks and bigger trees, I think that would be much better fit.

One thing I just noticed and dislike is the front parking along the 9th street side. It moves the street away from becoming a main street and more of "lifestyle centre" you'd see in the States or even in cities like Metro Van/Toronto. They are known to fail in creating the sort of vibrancy a main street creates.I think they should move the retail parking to the back/side or just leave it as on street parking with wider sidewalks and bigger trees, I think that would be much better fit.
I actually don't mind the parking. For a place like Bridgeland that's not super dense, businesses can always benefit from a bit of parking as it helps bring in some people from the burbs or nearby neighborhoods.

I actually don't mind the parking. For a place like Bridgeland that's not super dense, businesses can always benefit from a bit of parking as it helps bring in some people from the burbs or nearby neighborhoods.
No I'm fine with parking too but don't put it on the front side of the building. Parking in the front ruins the street scape and can at times be a deterrence for pedestrian foot traffic. Ive been temporarily living in Surrey recently and they have few "main streets" that have slanted parking spots in front of the shops. Im pretty sure they're called "lifestyle centres," a form of replicating main-streets but in the suburbs and they aren't very successful. I understand 9th street isn't trying to be a mainstreet but it wouldn't hurt to put visitor parking on another side. Just nitpicking from an urbanism perspective I guess. Other than that Im happy with the overall design.

Last edited:
Is it okay to say that I moaned loudly when I saw this? Because I just said it ? ????

Compared to the original version of this proposal, wow.

This is nice! If this gets completed along with Dominion, I can see Bridgeland starting to become a real hot spot. Although not a perfect TOD, this sort of densification is a step in the right direction. Now what we need is a 5 or so storey office building and a small scaled hotel to make it a more complete mixed used neighbourhood.

Office would be fine but I don't think it necessary. Meredith Block is enormous and is less than a 5 minute walk away... in the same neighbourhood. A hotel should be what a developer goes for here. Well located near lots of great restaurants (including 5 of the 10 best breakfast joint in the city within a 10 ish minute walk), river pathway, St Patricks Island, the Zoo, Telus Spark, and Bridgeland Station. Now that I think of it, why isn't there a hotel in the Bridges? After this one, we only have two plots left in the Bridges.

No I'm fine with parking too but don't put it on the front side of the building. Parking in the front ruins the street scape and can at times be a deterrence for pedestrian foot traffic. Ive been temporarily living in Surrey recently and they have few "main streets" that have slanted parking spots in front of the shops. Im pretty sure they're called "lifestyle centres," a form of replicating main-streets but in the suburbs and they aren't very successful. I understand 9th street isn't trying to be a mainstreet but it wouldn't hurt to put visitor parking on another side. Just nitpicking from an urbanism perspective I guess. Other than that Im happy with the overall design.
I have mixed feeling about parking. I normally don't like it, but on the flip-side, 17th ave, 4th street through Mission, Inglewood, and Kensington all have street parking. With it being only one lane each way on 9th, we could avoid street parking and have wider sidewalks. I'd be fine with that.

Moved from the general construction thread.

The lot immediately east of Steps in Bridgeland has construction fencing up and site clearing going with a back-ho as of this morning. I've heard the project is supposed to be rental owned but no idea the name of the project or it's design. Either way item exciting as I think this is the last lot for the Bridges phase 2.

Site prep is starting!

IMG_20200417_1412009.jpg

Site clearing underway.

I figured as much from the renderings and these pictures, but it looks like they cut down those huge trees on the north side. I really wish they would have incorporated them in the design. Trees like that take close to 100 years to mature.

Here are the trees I was talking about:

Back