The Barron | 43m | 11s | Strategic Group | Gibbs Gage

The parking issue is fine, I agree just have zero parking. But the elevator issue might be related to a modern code that they have to increase the size to meet current residential standards..?

Probably increasing the size of the elevator to accommodate people moving in and possibly a stretcher as required by code.

"These plans — paired with ambitious changes to the building, such as widening the elevator and adding underground parking — have wrought challenges for its structural engineers at every turn."

These are some of the only examples in the article, and perhaps I am just dense - why don't you just not do these things? Particularly if they cost double what you expected? Rather than inflate the project and add a ton of risk to a building you don't understand, perhaps try to work with the asset you have? The Barron Building survived 75 years without underground parking, surely it would be fine!

I get it we have frustrating and inflexible code requirements sometimes for things like stairs or elevators, but I find it difficult to believe it's anything but a choice to have underground parking at this location among other things.
I'd expect the level the units are going to be in just comes with the reality that parking is going to be expected by that type of tenant for a good portion of the units.

After doing the math it’s going to cost $115 million/94 units = $1.22 million unit/average. That seems extremely high for downtown Calgary. Hope the units are all 3bdrm/1500 sq ft each. Good luck making money on this
After the subsidy? Granted, the subsidy isn't huge in comparison.

The civic community in Calgary has better start thinking of what would be useful going in a future version of this building if this project collapses. Like, does the city need office space? Would it be better to put UCalgary's School of Architecture and Landscape here than in Castell? Maybe then use Castell for something else? (or knock it down).

Edit: Another thought, especially since it is available to fully customize, and the theatres across the way are also, is Alberta University of the Arts. Would free up space for SAIT to grow/decant into without huge work too. If not enough room, the theatres across the road (and maybe the print shop) are available too.

Would be a once in a generation opportunity, one that shouldn't be missed.

Last edited:
After the subsidy? Granted, the subsidy isn't huge in comparison.

The civic community in Calgary has better start thinking of what would be useful going in a future version of this building if this project collapses. Like, does the city need office space? Would it be better to put UCalgary's School of Architecture and Landscape here than in Castell? Maybe then use Castell for something else? (or knock it down).
You're absolutely correct, I don't want to see another York Hotel issue.

I think the City needs to also consider what is happening with the St Regis Hotel. It has been sitting and degrading since the construction of the Bow Tower when it was used as site offices. I fear the building owner will make the case to demolish the building later on once it is 'too far gone'. Could make a great place for live-in artist lofts or a hostel Like what HI Granville used to be.

Back