Taza (Tsuut'ina Nation Development) | ?m | ?s | Canderel

Interesting note about this development, the cost Cole going in will be the first Costco in Canada built on first nations land.
This is unique situation. I don't know of another major city in Canada that has a first nation reserve right on it's border. Perhaps in the lower mainland of B.C. with the population expansion there. This was not possible without the ring road agreement. It is a 'win-win'. People living on the SW edge of Calgary will have more services close by and the Tsuu t'ina will generate revenue from all of that.

This is unique situation. I don't know of another major city in Canada that has a first nation reserve right on it's border. Perhaps in the lower mainland of B.C. with the population expansion there. This was not possible without the ring road agreement. It is a 'win-win'. People living on the SW edge of Calgary will have more services close by and the Tsuu t'ina will generate revenue from all of that.
The only situation where a reserve is on the edge of as city that I can think of is the Oka reserve in Montreal. Usually way from the urban areas. This definitely a win-win. I know people don't want more sprawl, but it's going to happen somewhere around the city. Having it at the reserve will be good for the Tsuu t'ina nation. I believe in the past the government was not letting reserves use the land to run profitable businesses,but i see other reserves developing the land so that must have changed.

Does anyone know if there will be any residential included in this development? Would be interesting to have a residential aspect right on city limits, it would certainly blurs the lines between the nation and the city

All residential in the development will be rental. The Tsuu'tina don't want to deal with the slippery slope of more colonizers owning land that belongs to them.

Yes, the rental residential development will be owned by Tsuu'tina and available for rent by anyone.

Would non Tsuu'tina people be allowed to live on Tsuu'tina land though?
Ya it is just Leasehold instead of Freehold. I was on a big lease hold project in the lower mainland that was on first nations land. Think like a 99 year land lease. I believe it is the same thing on UBC Endowment Lands and also in the University District in Calgary, the only difference is the U of C is who the land is being leased from long-term.

Ya it is just Leasehold instead of Freehold. I was on a big lease hold project in the lower mainland that was on first nations land. Think like a 99 year land lease. I believe it is the same thing on UBC Endowment Lands and also in the University District in Calgary, the only difference is the U of C is who the land is being leased from long-term.

It's the same with living in Banff national park. Also, I think West District at UofC has a 99 year leasehold too.

The only difference is that federal and provincial governments usually renew their 99 year leases free of charge while the reserves do not. IIRC, Redwood Meadows is in the process of negotiating a new leasehold. I think the 75 year leasehold started in 1975.

Fun fact! The NBC (National Building Code) and provincial variances of the code are not legally enforceable on first nations land. Although, bands usually follow the code as it's next to impossible to get insurance on a new building that does not comply with the code.

It's the same with living in Banff national park. Also, I think West District at UofC has a 99 year leasehold too.

The only difference is that federal and provincial governments usually renew their 99 year leases free of charge while the reserves do not. IIRC, Redwood Meadows is in the process of negotiating a new leasehold. I think the 75 year leasehold started in 1975.

Fun fact! The NBC (National Building Code) and provincial variances of the code are not legally enforceable on first nations land. Although, bands usually follow the code as it's next to impossible to get insurance on a new building that does not comply with the code.

Huh, i didn't know NBC was enforcable on FN land. The FN land I was developing on had way more restrictive development guidelines than would be typical in Calgary. http://tsawwassenfirstnation.com/wp...07/TFN_NPA_Design_Guidelines_FINAL_031312.pdf

Glad the Costco is open, not sure if I'll ever go there but it should help take some of the pressure off the other south location. Is there a timeline on other developments in Taza being completed? really hoping this works out for the Tsuu T'ina!

Back