Taza (Tsuut'ina Nation Development) | ?m | ?s | Canderel

Looks good. I haven't followed all of the community related stuff that closely, but see some of the folks at Lake view are vehemently against this. What's their main reasoning?

The important point is SOME people in Lakeview have a problem. Not everyone. The 'Save Lakeview' folks say it's about traffic, but then they want a berm to block out the reserve, which has nothing to do with traffic.

Several Save Lakeview people have joined the Lakeview Community Association board over the last 6 weeks, including the new president of the LCA, and I believe they make up the majority of the board now. Expect to see the 'LCA' fight the Province over the 37th-Glenmore interchange and the City over the secondary access roads into the reserve over the next few months.

As a Lakeview resident, I can't wait for walkable amenities for the neighbourhood.

Looks good. I haven't followed all of the community related stuff that closely, but see some of the folks at Lake view are vehemently against this. What's their main reasoning?

It wouldn't be Calgary without the NIMBY fellas, theres always some excuse.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Green buffers between sidewalks and buildings. Streetwalls interrupted by surface parking lots. Looks like typical suburbia to me. I see this as a wasted opportunity to do something more modern. I'm not surprise with Canderel as the appointed developer.

The important point is SOME people in Lakeview have a problem. Not everyone. The 'Save Lakeview' folks say it's about traffic, but then they want a berm to block out the reserve, which has nothing to do with traffic.

Several Save Lakeview people have joined the Lakeview Community Association board over the last 6 weeks, including the new president of the LCA, and I believe they make up the majority of the board now. Expect to see the 'LCA' fight the Province over the 37th-Glenmore interchange and the City over the secondary access roads into the reserve over the next few months.

As a Lakeview resident, I can't wait for walkable amenities for the neighbourhood.
I heard several people on the CA have quit because of these guys, somehow they think that having quick, convenient access to a major retail park means their community will be inundated with traffic lol, though they are pretty much the only ones that will use those connections.

Yeah, the road reconfiguration will 'cost' some people maybe 5 minutes a day if they change routes, maybe a bit higher if the insist on keeping as close as possible to their current route. This is similar to what I think caused a bunch on anger on the SWBRT - the removal of a road feature that saves perceptible amount of time (in that case, the slip lane directly into the Glenmore Landing Safeway).

There are also those that perceived the reserve as a park and not as future development land, and those whose concerns seem to be mostly racist (a wish to avoid mixing).

The fact that 'Save Lakeview' proposed a berm between the community and the reserve doesn't help with the perception that the concerns are not entirely traffic related.

I was one of the people that resigned from the LCA when these new members came on board. It is a deeply fractured organization at this point, and I worry about what their next steps they take.

Man that's not cool, hopefully the development goes ahead as planned and all the Save Lakeview people crawl back under their rock!

Thanks. I hadn't heard about the berm, but have heard about traffic concerns. It seems like some of the people simply don't want their little corner of the world accessed by the rest of the big city or a native reserve.

'Step backwards:' Lakeview's issues with Tsuu T'ina development triggered talks of a berm

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgar...na-development-triggered-talks-of-a-berm.html

I could sympathize with the grievances of the residents if there was a tacky strip mall or big box retail development going in across from 37th street. But based on the master plan, it looks like mixed use residential. I think some people just don't want to see their neighborhood change at all...like zero change...cryogenically frozen.

Back