Stephen Avenue Place Revitalization | 155m | 40s | Slate

I completely forgot there was a plan for a bar on the 40th floor. Does anyone have any more details on it aside from the great name? Hopefully it won't be too high-end so that people without corporate credit-cards can enjoy it.
Its a Concorde restaurant which they are grouping with brigette bar and lulu, so i expect it to be similarly priced to those places. Definitely higher end but nothing crazy. There's no rules against just going up for a cocktail and an appy!

Every person that gets in there is going to make that joke, I bet the staff get sick of it damn quick lol.

The maitre d, every time someone makes that joke:
tenor.gif

I have to say I find the renovated interior really bland and sterile. I think I preferred what was there before. The exterior renos are great though and the elevator that provides direct access to the rooftop patio off of Stephen Avenue will help create some street buzz in the summer time as the line will no longer be hidden away on the third floor of the mall.

This is a facelift at best. A big missed opportunity to properly activate the ground floor on all 3 sides for the pedestrian experience. Still looks like a sterile corporate building that you wanna run away from after work. And jeez, they could've at least planted some trees along the sidewalk. In the last picture, the block looks everything but attractive.

Agree. The Stephen Ave side is a big upgrade, but the other two are just a decent facelift. Having the tower still look like ass is another big miss. The tower itself would look really good if the windows were replaced with a more clear look and the concrete was cladded in white and black panels. Why does this city hate trees so much?

The tower definitely looks worse now that the base is updated... again! lol. The inside looks kinda like what it was before, they renovated that part less than 10 years ago too.

I would have loved to see a major surface level bicycle parking garage built as part of the reno, with bicycle-friendly entrance onto Stephen Ave. Stephen Ave will always be a key bicycle-friendly corridor. I got the idea for better bicycle parking because they decided to cover their podium with many graphics of cyclists.

I get it is a "bridge too far" for many to do something like the mega-scaled, incredibly designed, Netherlands-style garages (as below), but surely a cool new modern/updated building could have a few hundred bicycle racks tucked in the base somewhere that's accessible? Maybe this development does and we just haven't seen it yet?

1617124532858.png

Perhaps I haven't had coffee this morning, but I really resent performative bicycle marketing.

"hey cool tech firms, come hang in our rowdy vintage office tower with a newly updated base! It's uber cool and modern, check out the bicycle graphics! Bike friendly my dudes!*"​
*Actual bicycle parking is on level B4 behind the boilers in a chain-link fence area and there's some bent bike racks on the street still covered in the parts of stolen bicycles.​

Perhaps I haven't had coffee this morning, but I really resent performative bicycle marketing.

"hey cool tech firms, come hang in our rowdy vintage office tower with a newly updated base! It's uber cool and modern, check out the bicycle graphics! Bike friendly my dudes!*"​
*Actual bicycle parking is on level B4 behind the boilers in a chain-link fence area and there's some bent bike racks on the street still covered in the parts of stolen bicycles.​

Forgot to add: "The landlord's local business association has opposed all bike lanes in the area, believing they're bad for business and slow down traffic."

Can't believe why on earth all the cool tech firms are avoiding Downtown Calgary like the plague.

Forgot to add: "The landlord's local business association has opposed all bike lanes in the area, believing they're bad for business and slow down traffic."

Can't believe why on earth all the cool tech firms are avoiding Downtown Calgary like the plague.
I'm astonished with how backwards that LLBA take is, it's like they're determined to make it harder for themselves.

Back