News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Stampeders

Good, I hope CSEC sells them. Other than ensuring the bills are always paid, they have done nothing to market the team and draw more interest. They have no vision for the team and league. For them it's all about the bottom line, and even then, they still don't know how to draw bigger crowds which would lead to more money. The Stamps need an owner like Amar Doman in BC who has done a great job turning the off field fortunes of that team around in only one year. My feeling is that once the XFL merger idea died they decided they wanted out. CSEC are nothing more than a mini MLSE who couldn't be bothered to promote and market the CFL and their team.
They definitely have the, too cool for the CFL feeling. If you feel that way then be gone with you. The CFL is a great product, it never was and never will be able to compete against the NFL. CFL players are very good and unless you're getting on a plane to go to an NFL game they're your best bet to see very high-quality athletes in person.

I went to a Stamps/Bomber game this year and for the first time sat about 10 rows up from the field, the speed and physical play, really made the game quite exciting. I normally sat pretty high up and I always enjoyed the game but from up close it was way better. That's what the CFL can sell, the fact that it is smaller and more accessible.

I'm also not sure how many people watching the NFL in Calgary are actual fans of football or just watch for fantasy or to gamble. Its hard to get those fans to a CFL game. I imagine most people who play CFL Fantasy Football or gamble on the CFL are already fans, so getting into that isn't going to be the windfall all the CFL execs thought it was. The NFL is so in your face so it's easy to know a little bit to be able to play fantasy football or gamble. If you want to do that on the CFL you as a individual need to do the work.

I think this rumour stems from one guy posting in passing on twitter and then never addressing it but saying last year of CSEC ownership.

Here's hoping the owner is a little bit more hands on and this isn't just another one of their assets. Safe to say a McMahon reno of some kind is coming out of the foothills athletic park redevelopment. If new ownership can push that up, it would be really exciting.

I have no insider knowledge and this is only off the top of my head but some think they were in the XFL push with MLSE, since that has fizzled, they don't see the value increasing? Stamps breakeven at best, especially over the last few years I'm sure they spend more than get out of it. The Stamps will not be getting a new stadium (reno at best) so its not like their value will go up that much. Could be cut bait thing. Really there's a near zero chance the franchise goes up in value in the near term.

Mostly, I just want them to sell. Maybe it won't be any better but the status quo isn't that great. For CSEC the stamps are just another one of their teams, that hasn't been great for the stamps. Sure, the cheque was never going to bounce but is that the best we can do?

I agree. I hope CSEC sells because they really have been an absentee owner from the start. They wanted to own all the sporting properties in this city and have a monopoly, but they really only care about the Flames. I've been extremely disappointed with their ownership of the club. At the start I was really excited that they bought the Stamps. I thought they would pump in a ton of money into marketing, game day presentation, stadium renos, and basically promote the brand, team, and league. All they have done is raise prices, provide a lackluster game day atmosphere, and make stupid decisions that turn off fans. The only thing they do right is pay bills and keep Huff employed to run the ship. They don't have a passion for the team, league or even football from my perspective. A couple rich oil guys who have money and want to own everything. The Stamps were at their best when they had the Forzani group owning them. We need passionate owners, people who care about growing the sport and team. We also need owners who would rather sell out a building at lower prices than charging more and only selling half the seats.

When was the last time a mini football made it past row 30 after a touchdown? Where are all the freebies and promotional give aways? Thundersticks? Pom poms? Towels? Bobbleheads? T-Shirts? There is zero marketing with other brands. What about 50% off pizzas from Pizza Hut if they score over 35 points in a game? The stadium is a disaster. Very limited food and drink options. They don't accept cash anymore or paper tickets. Lame half-time entertainment. We need a refresh and hopefully someone who gives a damn.

It's good to have stable ownership and CSEC has invested in putting a quality team on the field which is the most important thing.

Having said that, they've done some things that really pissed off long term fans - starting with the crackdown on tailgating when they took over the team. They actually had cops going through the parking lot ticketing people for drinking because they thought it was cutting into beer sales at the stadium. A lot of the tailgaters stopped coming to games after this and it really killed the atmosphere which hasn't recovered. 10-15 years ago, games against Sask and Edmonton had an unreal party atmosphere and that hasn't come back.

I thought it was the city that started cracking down on tailgating, if it was CSEC then that sucks! Getting drunk before the game would likely only boost beer sales! lol

Back