web large 4.jpg
    815 KB · Views: 1,591
  • web large 3.jpg
    web large 3.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 1,545
  • web large 12.jpg
    web large 12.jpg
    915.4 KB · Views: 1,435
Picking up where I left off about Avli, the third rendering depicting the laneway view is bugging
me a little bit. The real context has a residential contextual at grade edge., with garages and
accessory buildings lining the north side of the laneway. I think they could have done a better
job warming up laneway façade with some more expressive cladding, and articulation. I guess what
I'm saying is the rendering is a little deceiving. But, that's only my 2cents worth.

I forgot that was a lane way, looking at the rendering I was thinking of it as a street in front. I don't see the garages entrances though...unless I'm misinterpreting.

Sorry AB, I wasn't clear. Right across the lane, which is already narrow, there are dwellings and garages. My office
is two doors down from ID in Inglewood, and it is pretty amazing how close to the back lot line the building is. I haven't
seen the South Bank site plan in a while though. But, having been in the biz for a bit, I've often seen renderings that sell,
rather than depict context accurately.

Good point Beazley. Those people with ground-floor units facing the laneway won't get what they see in the rendering that's for sure.
I wonder if there's a better solution for those units, maybe having a basic nondescript setting at grade but having second floor much nicer or something, or do they already have that?

Actually I reported this project as South BLOCK not Bank which is supposed to be the sister building to the Atlantic Arts Block that was built across the street. I'm wondering where the South part comes in when this new one is on the north side of 9th Ave.

Actually I reported this project as South BLOCK not Bank which is supposed to be the sister building to the Atlantic Arts Block that was built across the street. I'm wondering where the South part comes in when this new one is on the north side of 9th Ave.
Thanks! I've changed the name to South block. I remember you had called it that, but the website was still showing South Bank so I thought maybe you had mixed up the name with the Hines project.

Thanks! I've changed the name to South block. I remember you had called it that, but the website was still showing South Bank so I thought maybe you had mixed up the name with the Hines project.
The designer keeps referring to it as South Block but that could likely change if the project is a go.

Sorry AB, I wasn't clear. Right across the lane, which is already narrow, there are dwellings and garages. My office
is two doors down from ID in Inglewood, and it is pretty amazing how close to the back lot line the building is. I haven't
seen the South Bank site plan in a while though. But, having been in the biz for a bit, I've often seen renderings that sell,
rather than depict context accurately.
No worries! I see what you mean. The rendering is very misleading for those purchasing units on the north side, and by not showing the houses that would be in the pic at that angle It looks like you are facing a street or a green-space.

The more I look at this design the more I think it'll be much nicer than its neighbor across the street to the south.

No, this one is called South Bank though.

Also, it's called "South" Bank because it's near the south bank of the Bow River.

Phone to call Opus coming up :)

Edit: Project used to be called South Block, but is now called South Bank.

Last edited:
No, this one is called South Bank though.

Also, it's called "South" Bank because it's near the south bank of the Bow River.
OK. That description is a bit of a stretch though as there is a couple of residential blocks plus a stretch of parkland between 9 Ave and the river. Opus' designer was calling it South Block so that is where this was coming from.

Yeah, it's not uncommon for projects to go through multiple names before the dust settles. It wouldn't surprise me if this project received yet another name by the time was complete.
OK. That description is a bit of a stretch though as there is a couple of residential blocks plus a stretch of parkland between 9 Ave and the river. Opus' designer was calling it South Block so that is where this was coming from.

Back