Scotia Place | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 99 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
88CDD0F7-BD1A-47E8-95D9-EE1B9CE564E0.jpeg
7285B8B7-F084-42CC-936C-FA450B2C4494.jpeg

This 17th/4th project is the exact style that would work at stampede trail and 12th. Plaza that allows mass' of people, strong podium for multilevel food/retail, commercial/residential components, connection to green line station...

I would sooner some time of permanent installation, whether is in the ground on a plaza or concourse, or taking up some expansive wall space inside. The jersey retirement thing to me across the board in hockey is blah, its very static, impersonal, and hockey focused. Also, outside of hardcore fans most fans don't remember numbers. Honestly, if some player trotted out in 9, I bet 90% of fans wouldn't blink an eye.

I would sooner some time of permanent installation, whether is in the ground on a plaza or concourse, or taking up some expansive wall space inside. The jersey retirement thing to me across the board in hockey is blah, its very static, impersonal, and hockey focused. Also, outside of hardcore fans most fans don't remember numbers. Honestly, if some player trotted out in 9, I bet 90% of fans wouldn't blink an eye.
I would have to disagree, I think even casual fans can recognize the numbers of extremely popular players such as 12, 34 or 13 for their NHL team in Canada.

That being said I think the Flames will and should honor Gaudreau with a dedicated area for the new arena

Name the bike lane on 12th after him
To on the nose. The man loved hockey and family, they have to name the Community Arena after him. Nothing to me ties better into community hockey and family.

Edit: What the flames should do is beat people over the heads at games and events about drunk driving. You could even have discounted trips home from the dome, sponsored by (insert Home Builder here). They should also make biking to games and events as safe as possible advocating for a safe connection to the city's already decent biking infrastructure, could be something as simple as a section on the website for how to get to the game on your bike.

Last edited:
Edit: What the flames should do is beat people over the heads at games and events about drunk driving. You could even have discounted trips home from the dome, sponsored by (insert Home Builder here). They should also make biking to games and events as safe as possible advocating for a safe connection to the city's already decent biking infrastructure, could be something as simple as a section on the website for how to get to the game on your bike.
Unfortunately the dangers of driving and drunk driving always go down through the collective memory hole.

Even now, many/most of the media focuses on the tragedy of it - which of course it is. But it's not all that his death was, it's also not an "accident" what happened - it's a combination of poor driving choices supported by a poor driver culture where those poor choices are made to seem more reasonable, supported by infrastructure (or lack there of) that makes everything more dangerous than it needs to be for drivers and others alike.

No, the Flames can't change drunk driving or poor driving culture overall. But for their role and ability to reach their audience, they could do something like a bike-to-the-dome fundraiser for the home opener to raise awareness and funds for the victims of traffic violence or encourage safer infrastructure. Something like that is tasteful, meaningful and signal to all their fans and kids of fans that this is an issue they should care about.

I am not going to hold my breath though. Traffic tragedies - even high profile ones - are firmly in the "thoughts and prayers" response for much of society. We are sad, we are outraged, maybe we get a few parents talking to their kids about road safety, but ultimately we remain unmoved to make material changes collectively to reduce the likelihood of it happening again.

Back