Votes: 10 45.5%
  • So So

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yup, rezoning is key....at least in my semi expert opinion. Developers would build on the north side of 1st ave if they could build something more significant. It doesn't have to be anything major 4-6 storey mixed use would do the trick.

As someone who lives on the North side of the street (literally about 2-3 houses in from 1st), I would definitely not like to see anything taller than 3-4 stories on this side. There still needs to be a somewhat smooth transition to the mostly single-family homes on the north side, and anything taller I think would come across as being somewhat imposing.

I see 1st ave as being a more intimate version of Inglewood's 9th ave, but I would really like to avoid the somewhat overpowering buildings that line that street. I don't particularly find those mid-rise Stampicture blocks particularly pedestrian friendly.

Fair enough. I think you could do as high as 6 floors in a couple of spots, (the parking lot across from Langevine School, and where that crappy two storey building west of the 7-11 is but yeah, 4 storeys is plenty, 3 and even 2 would still do the trick. It's really about getting some consistent streetscape on that north side. A few more of these buildings in spots that are empty would be great:

Image9.jpg

Attachments

• Image9.jpg
    Image9.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
Yeah, there's definitely room for some variation there, and I think the closer you get to Edmonton Trail, the taller it could be. Personally, I think 2-3 stories is an ideal height for these types of streets from a pedestrian perspective...at least if they directly butted up to the street. With some setbacks, you can go higher without being too imposing.

In the end though, I think taller buildings have more of a natural fit on the south side of 1st in this neighborhood. Especially south of McDougall Rd, I wouldn't even mind seeing taller towers.

I'm inclined to agree with disco Stu, leave the taller buildings to the south side, and closer to Memorial. the north side of 1st should be 2-3 floor buildings. A building similar to Trolley on 17th ave would be perfect where LeBrezza is.
Oh and yes please to a bike lane.

1st Ave., Northeast has so much potential, it's kind of halfway there now it just needs the final touches and some tweaking here and there.

Is there something in play for zoning changes?

I'm inclined to agree with disco Stu, leave the taller buildings to the south side, and closer to Memorial. the north side of 1st should be 2-3 floor buildings. A building similar to Trolley on 17th ave would be perfect where LeBrezza is.
Oh and yes please to a bike lane.

Also: at least a single controlled stop would be nice to stop the road from being a east-west uninterrupted through-fare, a key issue when trying to create a pedestrian-friendly walking street. It always amazes me how reluctant the City is to even do the slightest amount of traffic control that could have even the tiniest of chances to slow down cars. 1st Avenue NE is a prime example.

Perhaps enough condos or rezoning applications in the area will trigger a review.

In general, the north side of 1st really lets the entire street down. Apart from the LDV block, and Bridgeland Market being nice...it's a huge mish-mash of parking lots, residential, schools, etc. Hopefully the new rezoning proposals will help to kickstart some changes on that side to bring it all together.

Well Bridgeland is and has been going gangbusters for a while, so I expect once Steps and Radius are done, we will see more of the focus of the development of the neighbourhood turned to First Avenue again. That street has so much potential to be our first Europeanesque high street.

It would be nice to see the Minto Bridgeland proposal get built also. Kind of be an anchor for the end of the street.

Absolutely. My hope with the Minto proposal is that the added density will force the revitalization and reactivation of the retail bays in that historic building just south of it.

I think a successful Minto could be a real catalyst for that entire area around Edmonton trail/4th St to be re-developed. Although I guess Meredith Block already got the ball rolling...

Just leave Luke's alone!

For sure. What is the number of units proposed for Minto?

Either way, all of the developments in this area will eventually have the effect of revitalizing under used parts of the neighbourhood. That's what increasing population density does, it just takes time. Bridgeland has a lot of potential.

2017 Jan 12 151.JPG
2017 Jan 12 150.JPG
2017 Jan 12 149.JPG

Attachments

• 2017 Jan 12 151.JPG
    2017 Jan 12 151.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 557
  • 2017 Jan 12 150.JPG
    2017 Jan 12 150.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 592
  • 2017 Jan 12 149.JPG
    2017 Jan 12 149.JPG