Votes: 15 46.9%
  • So so

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Agreed! Whenever I bike past there, I always think about what a lost opportunity it is to not have businesses face the park and the pathway/river. It really would have been such a cool interaction and been such a great destination.

As for your comments on the rents, I completely agree with that too but think that it should be applied to most commercial leases at this point not just in that location.

The fact that they put all the retail across the street from the loading docks of a decrepit, failing shopping mall is completely baffling to me. Especially because literally any other side of this development fronts busier, far more pedestrian-friendly areas (the riverfront and Chinatown). My understanding of this is that the developers were trying to market the project as part of "Eau Claire" and not part of Chinatown (which is technically where it is actually located), which might explain their decision. Imagine if the restaurants and cafes had been fronting Sien Lok park. They'd be some of the nicest spots in the city.

Agreed! Whenever I bike past there, I always think about what a lost opportunity it is to not have businesses face the park and the pathway/river. It really would have been such a cool interaction and been such a great destination.

As for your comments on the rents, I completely agree with that too but think that it should be applied to most commercial leases at this point not just in that location.

The problem is climate. During the winter, the pathway traffic dries up considerably and those businesses would need alternative revenue streams.

2nd street should have massively improved by now, thos loading docks should be long gone. I'm sure they were betting on the new Eau Claire development happening, and that area being the focus, plus the fact that this development was met with a lot of resistance from Chinatown so I doubt they had much incentive to work with them.

Agree 100% about the river path though, sadly this project was planned about 10 years too soon for that. I hope whatever form the revisioned Eau Claire takes, it embraces the river path.

The fact that they put all the retail across the street from the loading docks of a decrepit, failing shopping mall is completely baffling to me. Especially because literally any other side of this development fronts busier, far more pedestrian-friendly areas (the riverfront and Chinatown). My understanding of this is that the developers were trying to market the project as part of "Eau Claire" and not part of Chinatown (which is technically where it is actually located), which might explain their decision. Imagine if the restaurants and cafes had been fronting Sien Lok park. They'd be some of the nicest spots in the city.
Totally agree. They could have leaned on Chinatown as more of a marketing angle, it is a hell of a lot more interesting than Eau Claire and could’ve pulled off some cool pan-Asian retail and restaurant spaces if they located them on the eastern portion of the development

Not only did they not "lean" on Chinatown as a marketing angle, they very conspicuously left out any reference whatsoever to Chinatown in their marketing material. They had a photo of Alforno on their website (which is, like, six blocks away), but nothing about Chinatown - not a single photo, not a single word. It's actually pretty racist, TBH: to develop a large chunk of an ethnic enclave, and do everything possible to erase the existence of the people who actually live there.

Not only did they not "lean" on Chinatown as a marketing angle, they very conspicuously left out any reference whatsoever to Chinatown in their marketing material. They had a photo of Alforno on their website (which is, like, six blocks away), but nothing about Chinatown - not a single photo, not a single word. It's actually pretty racist, TBH: to develop a large chunk of an ethnic enclave, and do everything possible to erase the existence of the people who actually live there.

Every time I see this development, I'm going to think about how racist it is.

Yet I would bet money that the majority of people living in the complex are of Chinese or Asian descent.

Wouldn't it also be racist to specifically market the complex to only Chinese or Asian people? Is the goal to keep Chinatown's population only Chinese? Are other ethnicities encouraged or discouraged from living there? Using Chinatown as a direct marketing strategy is inadvertently biased towards attracting an Asian demographic.

In my opinion I'm not seeing any racism from the developer. Perhaps they want to market to the entire population and their neutral marketing reflects that. Purposely marketing towards a specific demographic is more "racist" in my opinion.

I couldn't find any articles that old, but if my aging memory serves me correctly, didn't this one face some pretty stiff opposition from the China Town community when it was first proposed? If I recall, I think it initially had a hotel component that was particularly offensive to them. Maybe the design is an outcome of trying to appease those concerns, isolate the development from China Town, at the request of the community? Just speculation, based upon more than a decade old memory of a project I had no direct involvement with....

Any other long timers remember this about this project?

The only marketing I remember was that the project was located right on the river, and at times the only new project being built near water. Anthem were not marketing to any particular demographic. If you were from Calgary and were interested in buying there, you would know already that it was right next to Chinatown. If you did not know it, you certainly would when you visited the sales centre. Any implication of racism is a real stretch in my opinion. Buyers decide to buy for their own reasons not based on marketing.

Being of Chinese/Vietnamese descent myself I don't actually find it racist they left Chinatown out of their marketing or didn't include it more. I haven't had to deal with much racism here in Canada, but I have had some experiences of it, a few racial slurs over the years, nothing grave, but that's what I usually feel is racism.
Though I don't find it racist myself, I appreciate people here are concerned about racism. ?

Every time I see this development, I'm going to think about how racist it is.

I know you're being facetious, but it's very clear if you look at the development that has occurred around the boundaries of Chinatown, developers have very clearly tried to isolate the neighbourhood over the last several decades. Look at Harry Hays, Sun Life Plaza, The Bow Tower and, yes, Parkside condos. They all orient their retail and nicest design features away from Chinatown. On the Chinatown side is where they stick the parking garages, fire exists, etc. Contrast that with how development has been oriented around Stephen Avenue.

The fact is, Chinatowns across North America have long been regarded as a dirty, ethnic slums and developers and governments have long done things to try to isolate them or even wipe them right off the map. The fact that Centre Street and 2nd Ave isn't a massive expressway interchange is a result of Chinatown fighting back against the government's plan to level the whole neighbourhood.

So, you can treat racism like a joke, but this is the history that people in Chinatown remember. This is why they're so critical of new development, because they don't trust big developers or the government. And they have good reasons not to.

Wouldn't it also be racist to specifically market the complex to only Chinese or Asian people? Is the goal to keep Chinatown's population only Chinese? Are other ethnicities encouraged or discouraged from living there? Using Chinatown as a direct marketing strategy is inadvertently biased towards attracting an Asian demographic.

In my opinion I'm not seeing any racism from the developer. Perhaps they want to market to the entire population and their neutral marketing reflects that. Purposely marketing towards a specific demographic is more "racist" in my opinion.

I'm not accusing the developers of being racists. I'm saying that the very conspicuous absence of any mention of Chinatown in marketing materials (like, not even a single photo of lanterns or lion statues) and the orientation of all the pedestrian-friendly retail on the Eau Claire side, and parking garages and fire doors on the Chinatown side, was a conscious decision. It is a conscious decision that was very likely based on the assumption that Chinatown carries a social stigma and that "Eau Claire" residences will sell for more than "Chinatown" residences. Again, I'm not accusing the developers of being racist. The socail stigma - real or perceived - is what is racist. Perhaps if the developers had embraced the location in Chinatown and tried to better integrate the buildings on the Chinatown side, they would have built a better development and maybe the retail would be doing a lot better.

And, for the record, I never said anything about "marketing toward a specific demographic". Acknowledging the building is in Chinatown is not the same as trying to sell units only to Chinese people.

East facing retail without street frontage, that is facing a park that is devoid of human activity for the majority of the year is simply not going to work.

Also, given the opposition that the Chinatown community association has historically had to large scale developments such as this (the Hon project, and previous hotel and condo developments) it’s certainly not surprising that a developer at the periphery of Chinatown would avoid association with that community. Marketing the project as part of Chinatown would just be inviting opposition. I don’t think there’s anything racist about it.

The least developers can do is to engage the community and understand their historical hesitancy towards large scale development. There is never an excuse to avoid association. They need to be ambassadors otherwise, this is exactly how you end up inward isolated development like this.

Well I can’t blame the developer for not wanting to associate with Chinatown. The fact of the matter is that Chinatown has allowed itself to fall apart. There has only been two new developments (Oi Kwan and Elements) in the past 20 years. Neither of these are anything to brag about. Many of the buildings are falling apart and not the most inviting, not to mention the area is kind of dirty.

Someone finally comes along who wants to develop a useless parking lot into a major residential and commercial project (Hon) and they are shut down. The community is against new development to revive the area and they are also against cleaning up and renovating what they have. I guess they are happy with the status quo.

This project definitely faced opposition from Chinatown, there was supposed to be a hotel in the podium of the first phase but the community fought it and got it removed, then if I recall correctly they opposed every DP the developer went back in with and everything became a fight. Why work with a community after that? There's nothing racist going on here, relax... lol

Back