Votes: 15 46.9%
  • So so

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Most businesses and developers probably think it's a risky place for retail / restaurants. That area gets quite busy on nice summer days, but is a total dead zone in the winter, aside from the riff raff...
Exactly, the paths around Eau Claire are not near as busy in the winter. EV is a bit different, and can probably sustain business all year round. That said, it would have been nice if Parkside had at least one spot for a restaurant or coffee shop that was facing the path.

I think they're putting in One retail space near the river in Parkside. That's what I've heard at least.

I'm not sure why that is. I've always wished that there were more restaurants with patios facing out to the river or the bike paths. I know some people like the 'nature' aspect of the river pathways, but IMO, they are kind of past that....at least in the downtown core area. There is plenty of nature type path areas further up or down the river.

I agree. I would be of the opinion that a waterfront district with restaurants and bars would bread some life into the place even in winter. Hopefully when some of the future developments in East Village are complete, this will be the case. A cafe or decent restaurants would do well at the base of Parkside.

Well M2 Block will do wonders for retail right along the river. Apparently construction on that one is imminent, and it's only a 12 month buildout. Hopefully the rumour I heard about a cafe along the path in Parkside comes true, cause even one venue will do wonders for the quality of life for the path goers.

I agree. I would be of the opinion that a waterfront district with restaurants and bars would bread some life into the place even in winter. Hopefully when some of the future developments in East Village are complete, this will be the case. A cafe or decent restaurants would do well at the base of Parkside.
Well M2 Block will do wonders for retail right along the river. Apparently construction on that one is imminent, and it's only a 12 month buildout. Hopefully the rumour I heard about a cafe along the path in Parkside comes true, cause even one venue will do wonders for the quality of life for the path goers.
Agree on both counts. M2 would be awesome, and any kind of cafe or resto along Parkside would be good. A Boxwood Cafe type place along the river would be great.

I've seen lots of parks around the world do rreally well with restos/bars/cafes along side or adjoining a park. Wondel Park in Amsterdam has some restos with patios on the park and it works well. Madison Square park in NYC has a Shake Shack and it's always buzzing. In some ways it kind of makes the park.

Shake shack
by Surrealplaces, on Flickr

I kind of agree with mountain man on this. It's one thing for places like Kensington her 17th Ave. to do well in winter, but the problem with Eau Claire and along the bike path is the lack of vehicle access. In the summertime restaurants along the bike path would crush it, but winter be Torley different without being able to pull up in front with the car, it would make a big difference.

I think if you are a new restaurant or café owner in the Eau Claire/river area, your plan is to draw on the thousands of people who already live in the community, and the thousands more that will be living there once all the planned new developments get underway. That is your base of customers.... all within walking distance. People who drive down to that area in summer or in winter should be a bonus.

A little heads up, May 22nd update:

34704638261_296ff26a51_b.jpg

34836600135_5b88b3fa1f_b.jpg

33993703364_b24320a941_b.jpg

I think if you are a new restaurant or café owner in the Eau Claire/river area, your plan is to draw on the thousands of people who already live in the community, and the thousands more that will be living there once all the planned new developments get underway. That is your base of customers.... all within walking distance. People who drive down to that area in summer or in winter should be a bonus.

There's a fair amount of competition and it won't be cheap space to lease. It would be very hard to come up with a business plan that relies on the summer months and local populace.

There's a fair amount of competition and it won't be cheap space to lease. It would be very hard to come up with a business plan that relies on the summer months and local populace.
I think they could do okay if they had one smaller space setup for a cafe/bistro. Winter or summer it would do okay.

It can be done. I've just seen it done in other places with larger local populations and better demographics than Eau Claire. Chinooks are a welcome reprieve from winter. Winter is still long in Calgary.

My concern would be vehicle access. Lots of businesses do well in Calgary throughout the winter, but have street access. If a retail space could be articulated so it is close to a lane-way, as a front entrance, but has a patio at the back for a rear entrance, it would work.

Hi Group.
I have been sitting on this Topic for a Bit - Thinking it Over as Such. Resturants, Pubs etc would B Great. Lets B Realistic. I Looked at Something Totally Different. Anthem is a say "High End Condo Developer". They Specialize in Clients Who are say "Well Off" and What Have You. That is OK. Its Just that pubs, resturants etc Don't really fit into Their Projects - sad to say. Developers are All Unique in Their own Special Projects. This one has all totals 9 Bldgs, Each One is Different from the Others in Terms of Sizes and Designs. This is what makes it different. I realize that Anthem has other Projects that are say "Shovel Ready" in Calgary. Lindsey Park to name a few, 3 Towers plus a Super Market etc. Don't know what they will look like yet, but I'll back Anthem because I know They are a Good Quality Developer in the Projects that get Blt,, That makes Anthem Unique. Just my Opinion based on Observations.

Tnx,
Operater.

00-2017 June 6 007.JPG
00-2017 June 6 042.JPG
2017 June 6 005.JPG

Attachments

• 00-2017 June 6 007.JPG
    00-2017 June 6 007.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 399
  • 00-2017 June 6 042.JPG
    00-2017 June 6 042.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 419