Oxford Tower | 262.12m | 62s | Oxford Properties

I think you're right, he mainly was referring to the inventory we have now. I was more or less agreeing with him, and others that we won't see any new office towers for a while. He mentioned older buildings possibly falling into disrepair,

Residential conversion are for sure a future for the towers that can support the conversion - but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few buildings fall into disrepair and are torn down as well in the coming decades, particularly the older stock found mostly in the west part of downtown. The quality office will probably remain and keep adapting to new industries as needed.

and I believe it's true. It has happened in other cities where office buildings become completely empty or mostly empty. I believe there's a chance of seeing a new office building again, but it's a long ways away, and it's also likely it'd be mixed use. I'd love to see some residential conversions happen.
I was referring to our current supply - I would expect the existing good quality offices to be the foundation for the next decades, while the lower quality stuff degrades and we add almost nothing new beyond the occasional boutique or location-specific development, probably at a small scale. Some of the older stuff is or will become functionally obsolete as office space entirely, which I would assume to see some conversions and tear downs in the coming decades. Office buildings can't always convert (or it'll be cheaper to tear it down and start over) but we might get a few conversions. Definitely watch for the west end of downtown of those mid-sized 1970s/1980s office blocks to be the first to go.

I don't have much insight into this, but would be really interested to understand what existing building owners are thinking about this, particularly the ones that own these older, less major buildings. Some of these nearly empty older buildings must have really slim prospects of gaining tenants for the foreseeable future - how long do companies wait before they make a decision to repurpose or tear down or sell?

I was referring to our current supply - I would expect the existing good quality offices to be the foundation for the next decades, while the lower quality stuff degrades and we add almost nothing new beyond the occasional boutique or location-specific development, probably at a small scale. Some of the older stuff is or will become functionally obsolete as office space entirely, which I would assume to see some conversions and tear downs in the coming decades. Office buildings can't always convert (or it'll be cheaper to tear it down and start over) but we might get a few conversions. Definitely watch for the west end of downtown of those mid-sized 1970s/1980s office blocks to be the first to go.

I don't have much insight into this, but would be really interested to understand what existing building owners are thinking about this, particularly the ones that own these older, less major buildings. Some of these nearly empty older buildings must have really slim prospects of gaining tenants for the foreseeable future - how long do companies wait before they make a decision to repurpose or tear down or sell?
I too would be interested to know what current owners are thinking. A couple of years back I had looked into the possibilities for office conversions and had a conversation with a VP at Strategic about office conversions in general. At the time, it was a challenge for most buildings with the exception of smaller older buildings. The numbers didn't quite make sense for larger newer buildings for a few different reasons.

- Larger floorplates were harder to work with in an efficient manner
- The whole office vacancy situation was different back then, as landlords were still feeling that it was going to turn around, and were holding their ground, which was keeping it from being financially viable at the time.
- Building codes are one of the things that make conversions difficult for buildings of any size or age. If they can be altered or made more flexible, it could make a difference.
- HVAC and plumbing are generally a challenge, especially HVAC and the system has to go from a building wide system to system for each unit. Plumbing and electrical is like that also, but much easier to deal with.

My own personal feelings are that, things can and will change if they haven't already. Some of the challenges mentioned may be winnable now.
- Landlords are definitely looking at these assets differently now, as the long term outlook is less promising and it could be enough to spark in interest in more conversions.
- Larger floorplates are less efficient, but if the value of the space has gone way down, it's probably more viable to convert using larger less efficient spaces.
- Same thing for HVAC\Plumbing\Electrical. If you're dealing with a lower number of units, it becomes less challenging.
- Building codes? Might not change depending on the code - are some of the codes ones that aren't really that important but nobody has ever bothered to try and change them? or are they codes that absolutely have to stay as they are? Either way more of an administration thing and could possibly be changed.

I look at a building like Nexen which is empty, and wonder if it would be better to rip the floors out back to building base and sell the space off as loft space? This is a very simplistic comparison and doesn't include all the variables, but if they sold the space at $200 per sq ft, it would be the same revenue as renting it for $20 per sq ft for 10 years. It's unlikely they'll rent a full building for that price over the next 10 years, so maybe it makes sense to sell it in chunks. There is approximately 13,000 sq ft of usable space per floor at Nexen. Divide each floor into... say 5 units and sell off as a basic loft space with only the walls between units, and roughed in plumbing and electrical panel to each unit. Would someone be interested in spending 400K on a 2000 sq foot loft space? I think there are people around who would be.

I too would be interested to know what current owners are thinking. A couple of years back I had looked into the possibilities for office conversions and had a conversation with a VP at Strategic about office conversions in general. At the time, it was a challenge for most buildings with the exception of smaller older buildings. The numbers didn't quite make sense for larger newer buildings for a few different reasons.

- Larger floorplates were harder to work with in an efficient manner
- The whole office vacancy situation was different back then, as landlords were still feeling that it was going to turn around, and were holding their ground, which was keeping it from being financially viable at the time.
- Building codes are one of the things that make conversions difficult for buildings of any size or age. If they can be altered or made more flexible, it could make a difference.
- HVAC and plumbing are generally a challenge, especially HVAC and the system has to go from a building wide system to system for each unit. Plumbing and electrical is like that also, but much easier to deal with.

My own personal feelings are that, things can and will change if they haven't already. Some of the challenges mentioned may be winnable now.
- Landlords are definitely looking at these assets differently now, as the long term outlook is less promising and it could be enough to spark in interest in more conversions.
- Larger floorplates are less efficient, but if the value of the space has gone way down, it's probably more viable to convert using larger less efficient spaces.
- Same thing for HVAC\Plumbing\Electrical. If you're dealing with a lower number of units, it becomes less challenging.
- Building codes? Might not change depending on the code - are some of the codes ones that aren't really that important but nobody has ever bothered to try and change them? or are they codes that absolutely have to stay as they are? Either way more of an administration thing and could possibly be changed.

I look at a building like Nexen which is empty, and wonder if it would be better to rip the floors out back to building base and sell the space off as loft space? This is a very simplistic comparison and doesn't include all the variables, but if they sold the space at $200 per sq ft, it would be the same revenue as renting it for $20 per sq ft for 10 years. It's unlikely they'll rent a full building for that price over the next 10 years, so maybe it makes sense to sell it in chunks. There is approximately 13,000 sq ft of usable space per floor at Nexen. Divide each floor into... say 5 units and sell off as a basic loft space with only the walls between units, and roughed in plumbing and electrical panel to each unit. Would someone be interested in spending 400K on a 2000 sq foot loft space? I think there are people around who would be.
The idea of a 2000sqft converted loft downtown sounds pretty awesome.

I'm not sure the building owners would look at the building in terms of a 10 year period, maybe 20 years, but I see where you're coming from. Throughout the 10 or 20 year period they have to maintain the building, and pay taxes on it. If it's half empty over that time period, it might be better to sell it, and if they can't seel the whole building for a reasonable price, maybe it's better to sell it in parcels. The question comes down to what would a building like the Nexen tower go for in today's market? 600,000 sqft at $200\sqft would equal $120M. Is it worth that much? Maybe it's worth a lot more than that. Does anyone have any recent figures from any office building sales?

I'm not sure the building owners would look at the building in terms of a 10 year period, maybe 20 years, but I see where you're coming from. Throughout the 10 or 20 year period they have to maintain the building, and pay taxes on it. If it's half empty over that time period, it might be better to sell it, and if they can't seel the whole building for a reasonable price, maybe it's better to sell it in parcels. The question comes down to what would a building like the Nexen tower go for in today's market? 600,000 sqft at $200\sqft would equal $120M. Is it worth that much? Maybe it's worth a lot more than that. Does anyone have any recent figures from any office building sales?

Well, the Edmonton CN tower sold for $10 + debt: https://www.westerninvestor.com/news/alberta/edmonton-office-tower-sells-for-10-and-debt-1.24271121

and Edmonton has a lower vacancy rate. So probably not too much.

In all seriousness, the debt was ~60M and it isn't a high end office building, so you might be in the right ballpark at $120M. But others will know more.

I would imagine the price of an office tower in Calgary ain't what it was 10 years ago, or even 3 years ago. Remember the Bow costing a $1Billion to build? I don't know of any office building sales lately, but $120 Million for the Nexen tower seems doable. It's a 40 year old building with few prospects of an anchor tenant. $120 Million may even be to high.

They discuss the idea of government intervention, and I think it's a good idea. I'm not one that believes the government needs to fix every problem, but the governments at municipal and provincial level can help make a difference.

Here's an interesting write up from the UofC on office space conversions. It talks about the issues that have been discussed, as well as mentions some ideas for solutions.
https://www.policyschool.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Office-Vacancy-Graham-Dutton.pdf

I know it's probably not economical quite yet, or possibly never, but it would be really cool if some of these older towers were converted to some kind of vertical farming. If vertical farming were actually profitable it would be a perfect use for these unused buildings

Suncor is looking for a new building and has several developers courting them. It will take 6-8 years to get this through the planning and construction stages and we could (hopefully) be in a very different place by then.

I know it's probably not economical quite yet, or possibly never, but it would be really cool if some of these older towers were converted to some kind of vertical farming. If vertical farming were actually profitable it would be a perfect use for these unused buildings
I've always been interested in this stuff - it's a tight and low-margin business to do urban farming but there's a ton of benefits as well. If anyone is interested, Lufa Farms in Montreal are a really interesting company to read about. They have repurposed a bunch of old warehouses for rooftop gardens. The architecture is cool - but their blog goes into the business side as well of what they chose to grow, how their distribution model works, how did they scale, pitfalls and challenges etc. - really neat stuff. After a small start, they are now producing an enormous amount of vegetables and have a huge reach into southern Quebec.

https://montreal.lufa.com/en/farms

I've always been interested in this stuff - it's a tight and low-margin business to do urban farming but there's a ton of benefits as well. If anyone is interested, Lufa Farms in Montreal are a really interesting company to read about. They have repurposed a bunch of old warehouses for rooftop gardens. The architecture is cool - but their blog goes into the business side as well of what they chose to grow, how their distribution model works, how did they scale, pitfalls and challenges etc. - really neat stuff. After a small start, they are now producing an enormous amount of vegetables and have a huge reach into southern Quebec.

https://montreal.lufa.com/en/farms

I've seen a couple of shows on that company and on the surface it appears to be a great concept that should be replicated in every market. The other benefit is the thermal gain and energy reduction for the building below.

I'm currently studying some housing in Sweden built inside of greenhouses; or greenhouses built over housing. This could be a single family housing type of the future (for the rich and rural).

I've seen a couple of shows on that company and on the surface it appears to be a great concept that should be replicated in every market. The other benefit is the thermal gain and energy reduction for the building below.

I'm currently studying some housing in Sweden built inside of greenhouses; or greenhouses built over housing. This could be a single family housing type of the future (for the rich and rural).
Very neat. This is way off topic from this never-going-to-be-built skyscraper sub-forum, but completely agree the Montreal urban farming example is interesting in that it has/had three markets timed really well - consumer, agriculture and real estate. Some similarities for sure with Calgary.

Consumer market is giant in Montreal (4 million within the metro, plus millions more nearby) with tons of small restaurants and food culture that often is willing to pay more for quality/freshness if they need to. The Agriculture market is very advanced thanks to a long history in co-ops, small-scale farms, great growing conditions for diverse produce, and well established sales and distribution networks of public markets . Real estate was a byproduct on Montreal's economic stagnation in the 1970s and 1980s - largely overbuilt and de-industrializing created a wealth of extra large format spaces that were reasonably cheap and located in great central areas.

Combine all those factors with decreasing costs in technology (e.g. LEDs) and urban farms start making much more sense. It's not a slam dunk - high-tech, hyper-efficient and productive urban farms will always be uncompetitive in general with farms that have cheap land and free sun and water - but it's definitely possible. Again, the Lufa farms example goes into it in greater detail - it's not as much about growing things as you'd think, it's about creating and expanding a better food system for a city.

Calgary would be an interesting case for urban agriculture as you'd compete with California largely and some greenhouses by Medicine Hat. Our nearby outdoor conditions are more favourable for cattle and low-yield crops than vegetables and they get decimated by hail every second year at a minimum but offer endless sunlight all year. There is a far weaker and less diverse farming network here than Quebec beyond a few small scale operations and Hutterite colonies.

If you could guarantee a more reliable quantity, quality and consistent (even if higher) all year cost, certain vegetables could have the market in Calgary. Perhaps carve out a niche from imported California produce that travelled a few thousand kilometres to get here in varying quality and dramatically fluctuating prices. I bet even a terrible/cheap office building would be too high cost/not efficient enough to operate as a farm but maybe once things depreciate a bunch further so brave entrepreneurs will give it a try.

EDIT: a final quick random thought, I bet if all the dozens of community gardens in the inner city created some sort of network where each plot was optimized for specific vegetables and produce was shared through a distribution network the collective yields of all plots would be like 5 times higher with way better quality and variety for everyone.

Last edited:

Back