Northland Village Redevelopment | 19m | 6s | DIALOG

If the density of Northland builds up substantially I could see another station being built, as the goal I think should be to leverage the existing system as best as possible. Downtown has a station every 3 blocks, with trains having to stop for traffic lights, thus if adding a station adds 3 minutes for commuters in Tuscany, so be it.
I agree with this. There's no harm adding a station at Northland when the development nears completion. It wouldn't be any less deserving than Dalhouise, I mean what the point of having a higher density node of residential beside a train line if there's no station?

If I were to phase it, I would do:
  • Blue Line NE to Redstone
  • Green Line S to South Hospital
  • Green Line N
I think Green Line North probably is the best of those projects, however the first two are really low risk / high return in the immediate sense to really boost Green Line and Blue Line numbers.

But my list is thinking too small. Better yet, pick all three simultaneously and line up the project schedules to share resources, phasing, expertise and efficiency in delivery. Incrementally build out all of them at the same time so by 2030 we are done all of them and on to brand new projects.
Blue line to Redstone isn't a priority for me unless there's a spur to the airport. It needs to be done someday, but I'd rather see money go to the Green line or to improve existing stations and sections, focusing on better TOD infrastructure etc..

The area seems to be going pretty good the mall is demolished already can’t wait for a new mini downtown assorts or mixed use area I think it’s a city first to have something like that I live by this area and I remember going to the mall when I was little the only problem, is they build condo towers everywhere but they don’t prioritize the beltline or north of downtown shouldn’t we concentrate all the construction of condo towers or point towers like you see in Vancouver in the greater downtown area? I think we are growing faster then Toronto. Toronto is building hundreds of towers as we speak, while we are building barely anything council needs to do something no wonder they’re so hated
sorry if this post comes as robotic I’m new here

The next new buildings DP has been submitted. Still just single storey retail uses, across the parking lot from the last one (the grocery store) and across the street from the Deveraux apartments. Want to guess which way the front door will be oriented?.....

1709669252201.png

1709669303780.png

1709669325498.png

1709669347002.png

A few more renderings in the drawing package.

Last photo update now that the residential is complete. Photos taken just before the snow storm.

Residential buildings: The second building is now complete and tenants (and their dogs) have moved in.
IMG_6379exp.jpg
IMG_6384exp.jpg
IMG_6395_6401exp.jpg
IMG_6570exp.jpg
IMG_6459_6477exp.jpg
IMG_6505exp.jpg
IMG_6432exp.jpg
IMG_6407exp.jpg

Mall redevelopment:

New building started:
IMG_6391exp.jpg

New dental clinic:
IMG_6516exp.jpg

New burger place and animal hospital:
IMG_6420exp.jpg
IMG_6525_6531exp.jpg

Site of new grocery store (an Italian Center Shop: https://italiancentre.ca/second-calgary-location-to-open-at-northland-village-mall )
IMG_6520exp.jpg

New Dollarama:
IMG_6553exp.jpg

It might just be my high school nostalgia talking (RIP lunch trips to Future Shop to check out the computer games), but I preferred the old mall. Yes it may tick the density box, but this whole development just feels like a collection of cheap disposable junk.

It might just be my high school nostalgia talking (RIP lunch trips to Future Shop to check out the computer games), but I preferred the old mall. Yes it may tick the density box, but this whole development just feels like a collection of cheap disposable junk.
100% agree. The redevelopment of Deerfoot Mall into Deerfoot City feels like an upgrade, but this does not.

100% agree. The redevelopment of Deerfoot Mall into Deerfoot City feels like an upgrade, but this does not.
Agree, Deerfoot City feels like a master planned attempt, like a poor mans version of an outdoor shopping and dining complex all over the lower states.

This feels, like a tighter together Deerfoot Meadows.

That's an interesting point, there's definitely a bigger contrast. As far as I remember Deerfoot Mall was always kind of a shithole...so anything was going to be an upgrade. Some of us remember Northland Village to be actually pretty decent back in the day (a sort of mini Market Mall on the inside), so maybe more was expected.

That's an interesting point, there's definitely a bigger contrast. As far as I remember Deerfoot Mall was always kind of a shithole...so anything was going to be an upgrade. Some of us remember Northland Village to be actually pretty decent back in the day (a sort of mini Market Mall on the inside), so maybe more was expected.
I am kind of surprised Calgary ended up with all these indoor malls in such close proximity and competition to each other:
  • Market Mall
  • Northland Village Mall
  • North Hill Shopping Centre
  • Brentwood
Perhaps the growth projections for retail were overly optimistic in the 1960s - 80s that they all assumed there was enough market to go around?

Apart from Market Mall, the other three have been declining or transitioning to another form for about 25 years, nearly half their life. Meanwhile, Market Mall invested heavily to become larger, more regionally-scaled mall to differentiate itself - it seems to be reasonably healthy. The others all seemed to lose market share to the big-box/power centre of developments further in the NW burbs.

The three declining centres also have seemed to lack a clear plan of transition leading to weird partial implementations (i.e. Brentwood's sloppy TOD designs and lack of a coherent area plan, Northland's half mixed-use, half-power centre approach etc.)

Now U/D is adding an urban-format retail/shopping flavour to the mix, seeming quite successful as the best example of a true mixed use retail and living hub - really doesn't have competition in the quadrant for this.

No real conclusion, I just find it all quite interesting to see it evolve and how (relatively) quickly the shopping plans of the 1960s - 1980s became obsolete. Obvious stuff like put more housing (customers) near shopping seems to have not been realized until very recently by these developers, or at least never attractive in their business models until more recently.

Back