Northland Village Redevelopment | 19m | 6s | DIALOG

I feel like this is a good kickstarter for a more dense node. Now that this will be buildt, more developers can use that area to build more around the area.

And it’s not that close to an LRT station
I still think it sucks. It looks like something I'd expect to be built in Airdrie.

Very suburban type density development, but at least it’s near an LRT line. If enough density gets built, there’s a good chance that a station will get built eventually.
And to be honest, I’m glad the city is waiting for the density to happen first, rather than build the station and hope for the developer to finish up with the density part.

There was interest in an infill station there. There's even an accommodation in the tracks - there is more room between them under the Northland Dr overpass.

The other locations suggested were 50 Ave S, and the one planned for the Midtown development (Fairmount/Fisher Park area between Chinook and Heritage).

If the density of Northland builds up substantially I could see another station being built, as the goal I think should be to leverage the existing system as best as possible. Downtown has a station every 3 blocks, with trains having to stop for traffic lights, thus if adding a station adds 3 minutes for commuters in Tuscany, so be it.

yeah I'd prefer if they focus on extending the blue line to the airport/more north and the red line more south before we add stops like Northland or Midtown
I’d rather see stations at at Northland or Midtown, with a caveat that those areas get developed. We already have extended the LRT out to the far reaches of the earth, we need to start making it more like a transit system, and not a commuter train.
The airport train would be nice though.

I’d rather see stations at at Northland or Midtown, with a caveat that those areas get developed. We already have extended the LRT out to the far reaches of the earth, we need to start making it more like a transit system, and not a commuter train.
The airport train would be nice though.
I still think they should connect the new denser suburbs in NE to the LRT line. Northbound Metis Trail and Deerfoot are a mess during peak times. Either way, I think we can all agree that an Airport line should be the number one priority if we had a choice.

IMO all the transit $ should be going to the green line. Once that's under construction and the north leg is financed, we can look at filling out or extending the existing lines further. Looking at the map, the distance from Brentwood to Northland is about the same as the distance of the University to Brentwood, so not as close as they appeared. If adding a station is in the future, then this would be a good candidate, lots of room to add density too.

IMO all the transit $ should be going to the green line. Once that's under construction and the north leg is financed, we can look at filling out or extending the existing lines further. Looking at the map, the distance from Brentwood to Northland is about the same as the distance of the University to Brentwood, so not as close as they appeared. If adding a station is in the future, then this would be a good candidate, lots of room to add density too.
If I were to phase it, I would do:
  • Blue Line NE to Redstone
  • Green Line S to South Hospital
  • Green Line N
I think Green Line North probably is the best of those projects, however the first two are really low risk / high return in the immediate sense to really boost Green Line and Blue Line numbers.

But my list is thinking too small. Better yet, pick all three simultaneously and line up the project schedules to share resources, phasing, expertise and efficiency in delivery. Incrementally build out all of them at the same time so by 2030 we are done all of them and on to brand new projects.

I think the only way to get Green line N done is to 1. deliver the downtown -> SE part, and 2. deliver the SE -> McKenzie part, to convince people the line has value, and to soften the blow of the (IMO) inevitable tunnel that is going to have to happen south of 16 Ave N. So, I agree with the phasing you have above, but don't think you could get it all funded at once.

After all that is done, in 2035 or whatever (I'm an optimist), I'd like to see the blue line extended west one stop, to 85 St. Yes, it's a wealthy area with a lot of people driving, and there are still a bunch of undeveloped plots out there. But, there's a growing amount of medium density centred around 85 St, and the station would still be a reasonable distance from downtown, similar to Whitehorn, Dalhousie or Southland. Or Beddington or Ogden on the Green line.

There will be plenty of money to get down to McKenzie and up to 64th by 2035. We need to keep doing advancing planning for projects for the next round of federal funding (2027 onwards), so we don't run into the greenling problem again where planning takes up most of the funding cycle.

I saw this funny graphic about Seattle, but it applies equally almost everywhere:
1705517898093.png

Last edited:
If I were to phase it, I would do:
  • Blue Line NE to Redstone
  • Green Line S to South Hospital
  • Green Line N
I think Green Line North probably is the best of those projects, however the first two are really low risk / high return in the immediate sense to really boost Green Line and Blue Line numbers.

But my list is thinking too small. Better yet, pick all three simultaneously and line up the project schedules to share resources, phasing, expertise and efficiency in delivery. Incrementally build out all of them at the same time so by 2030 we are done all of them and on to brand new projects.
Don't forget extending the Redline down to Belmont. Lots of surburban density coming down there as well.

Back