Martel Block | 8m | 2s | Systemic Architecture

The bad thing about developments like this is the higher rent shoves small businesses out of the area. There was a great kids consignment shop and refillery here before. I like the design of this building but losing what was in the two houses there were here before makes me sad. A bunch of chains is not what I want on my mainstreet but nothing I can do.

The bad thing about developments like this is the higher rent shoves small businesses out of the area. There was a great kids consignment shop and refillery here before. I like the design of this building but losing what was in the two houses there were here before makes me sad. A bunch of chains is not what I want on my mainstreet but nothing I can do.
It’s unfortunate, but it happens. Usually, I find the smaller businesses that get wedged out end up somewhere else in the city.

Unfortunately larger scale developments like this do not cater to small business. It is a drawback of larger developments; these companies want to get their investment back and that comes with higher lease rates which push out small business. Where small business succeeds in neighbourhoods like this are in the smaller quirky buildings that have already been paid off. Just something to keep in mind for those who are clamouring for higher higher higher. That comes with chains. Arc 33? It'll have chains. 1900? Chains. The Co-op redevelopment? Chains.

Thankfully the work by Leonard Development Group one block down caters to nothing but small business. Over a dozen small business converted out of old houses and an apartment block. Wouldn't surprise me to see them knock down the last house next to 34th and 19th and continue the project, although that house is a tear down.

Last edited:
CF0163AD-C192-4EF1-B786-C5C1D1F9EE2A.jpeg

I really look forward to their removal.

On a related note, does anyone have stats on relative reliability / uptime of power for buried vs overhead lines? I lived in the GTA for a short period of time, and there seemed to be way more power outages due to storms knocking down overhead wires than here.

I really look forward to their removal.

On a related note, does anyone have stats on relative reliability / uptime of power for buried vs overhead lines? I lived in the GTA for a short period of time, and there seemed to be way more power outages due to storms knocking down overhead wires than here.
I don't have stats, but I know in some older cities where most services are above ground issues are common. I remember London and New York back in the 80's and 90's used to have a lot of service/power outages. It was so bad in London at one point that you couldn't always make a call to another part of the city if there was a storm.

I remember London and New York back in the 80's and 90's used to have a lot of service/power outages. It was so bad in London at one point that you couldn't always make a call to another part of the city if there was a storm.
Not really power line related, but NYC sure had its quirks with power when I lived there. Whenever it rained, I always make sure not to step directly on any manhole covers... as every once in a while you heard news of someone being electrocuted by them.

Back