Marquee on 16th | ?m | 9s | Marquee Group | NORR

IMG_8929.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8929.JPG
    IMG_8929.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 362
Nice solid building and scale that could be done without the multi-colour checkerboard panels on the podium. They tried to hard there.

My dream is for 16 Ave to be filled up with buildings like these, with a BRT line running down the middle (a la VIVA in Markham).

I think 16 ave has much more potential for urbanization than Macleod
Yup, much better potential than Macleod. It feels like it's getting close, it just needs more of what you were talking about. Small to medium sized developments with retail on the street front.

Sorry....it should have read Greenline LRT stop. There were some initial designs of this floating out there somewhere. Looked interesting.

Sorry....it should have read Greenline LRT stop. There were some initial designs of this floating out there somewhere. Looked interesting.
I thought there was a rendering of it in one of the Green Line videos. That SE corner of centre and 16th is a great opportunity to improve both 16th ave and centre street. If the parcel where the auto mechanic places are ever gets developed you'd have a nice little stretch of retail.

I hope the include some retail undeground. It would be far more welcoming if the street life could continue when it's forced to go underground. The last thing I'd want to see is any underground street crossings become no go zones after working hours.

I'm trying to remember which station it was in Vienna, that was bright spacious and had a good deal of retail in it. I think it was Karlsplatz. It would be awesome if they could put a European style small grocery store under there.

Some of the metro stations in Hong Kong have retail, and grocery stores etc... For 16th ave station, any kind of retail at all would be good. I don't usually go to Tim Horton's much, but having one in the station would generate some good foot traffic.

Would have to be a pretty wide walkway, otherwise the good foot traffic will turn into a clogged tunnel by those in line waiting for their Tim's haha. Metro stations all over the world have retail in them, and in pedestrian underpasses. I've also seen it in Vienna, also New York, London, Istanbul, Seoul... Would really hope the planners acknowledge the normalcy in that and include it in their design.

Last edited:
If this station was being planned 15 years ago, it would be a bare-bones design with little thought put into it except how to save money. I have the feeling Calgary has progressed enough to look at other designs around the world for inspiration.

I'm guessing these underground LRT stations are going to be pretty bare bones. I'd be surprised if there was even a coffee or news stand. The only significant retail I can see going in is if one of the adjacent lots got developed into an office complex with an underground retail level that connected directly to the station.

Back