Marquee on 16th | ?m | 9s | Marquee Group | NORR

Two things to improve this building have nothing to do with the building itself:
  1. The City needs to allow on-street parking to give retail a chance. This was a huge part of the rationale to the 16th Avenue expansion 10 years ago.
  2. 16th Avenue Crosstown BRT can't come soon enough, this is the kind of development that really matches well with proper transit.
Any other complaint from me is purely subjective based on colouring etc. I think this is the exact type of thing we need in more areas in the inner city.

100% agreed.

You know, I think I like it.

Exactly the right massing for 16th Ave. I don't even mind the grey. I'm interested to see how the grade level turns out.

I noticed that all the tarp is off now. Overall, it's a win, especially for that part of the city. With any luck Calgary will continue to get more of these projects.

Tarp is completely off. Looks alot like the rendering.

2016 Oct 20 085.JPG
2016 Oct 20 084.JPG

Attachments

• 2016 Oct 20 085.JPG
    2016 Oct 20 085.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 522
  • 2016 Oct 20 084.JPG
    2016 Oct 20 084.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 478
Reactions: AJX
As much as I'm not a fan of brown high-rises, at least before the color panels, it looked unified. The addition of them however just creates a really odd clashing mix of color. What kind of color theory classes did these architects take?

As much as I'm not a fan of brown high-rises, at least before the color panels, it looked unified. The addition of them however just creates a really odd clashing mix of color. What kind of color theory classes did these architects take?
The colored panels would be fine if the upper portion of the building was white and off white or black and charcoal. Right now too much clashing going on.

To me its more the large rectangular shapes and grey mullions than the colours of the panels. An ugly tower that now has a focal point. Can't get much better (worse) than that.

Agree with the above sentiment on the colour. I think the colour and placement of the brick is nice, could even live with the panels being only shades of grey and white. So we just need a late night anti colour graffiti session to paint in the coloured panels

Are they going to allow street-parking in front of this building outside of rush hour? That was one of the original intentions of the 16th Avenue expansion debacle from a decade ago. My guess is they won't, but I hope they do to give retail a chance.

Are they going to allow street-parking in front of this building outside of rush hour? That was one of the original intentions of the 16th Avenue expansion debacle from a decade ago. My guess is they won't, but I hope they do to give retail a chance.
Don't think so, there is parking behind cut under the second floor

Back