Lincoln | 126m | 37s | Truman

Yep that’s a 2024 era office tower sleek, density, but ground floor is an office lobby circa 1983.
When I think about the sins of 1980s office towers, I think about how they forego an inviting ground level entrance for parade ramps, driveway loops, emergency exits, and loading docks. I think about blank walls and pointless, windswept plazas in front. But this place has none of these problems - what's the issue? Is it that it doesn't have retail bays or a podium of townhome style units? Those aren't the only two options - I think it is ok if ground levels like this are thrown in the mix.

I agree. Would it be better with some retail? Yes, but i think this is a really cool design and something very unique to the city if they pull off the materials properly. If this gets built along with Imperia down the block, this area will become pretty dense and active. Retail could soon follow in other new builds or in the older buildings in the area.

I think the architecture is misleading. It is very good at conjuring imagery of 1980s office towers but the actual street presence doesn't seem to have that same hostility. While it's nice to have CRUs I don't think it's necessary. The little plantered arcades are nice. The diagonal planter angles make one think of the tiered, windswept corporate podiums of downtown but only in the drawings; in person it's just a nice ride sidewalk with some extra street furniture. Totally good.

It means that the landscaping will make or break this one though (at a pedestrian perspective) and the material choice for the gold louvres will determine how this ages...

I haven't followed the conversation. It looks like there may be a CRU on either side in the podiums extending off of the tower lobby in the rendering.

Seems like a very high-end design more akin to a development in Toronto/Vancouver.

Really not surprised that Truman is shooting for this luxury style. The amount of immigration that has poured into Calgary in recent years are starting to allow developers to create such luxury condos (with the added 1000$/sq. ft price tag). They’ll find the people to fill it up pretty quickly.

Back