Killarney Multi-Res | 6s | 20m I Advent | Gravity Architecture

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
A DP has been submitted along 37th Street SW, at the NE corner of the intersection with 21st Ave SW:

From the posted drawings:
1686682566726.png

I don't like it. Looks very similar to the renderings of that metal shack in Marda Loop. Watch them VE this one to another shipping container.

I like it. My main knock on the building was that there was too much metal material relative to the window spaces, if Courtyard 33 had more window space on the façade and transparent balcony railings I would have really liked it more. This design more or less kind of does that.

Last edited:
I'm still perplexed at Calgary's unique desire for metal siding condos, especially in such prominent locations. I personally think it looks cheap and temporary. It's not a design I see in other cities and it's already very polarizing, which might age really poorly.

Another missed opportunity on 37th!!! Why is there no retail on the main floor... the whole point of revamping 37th was to make it a "main street".... now it's just going to turn into a mess of single family houses, residential apartments and infills. Just like 26th is, it will be a pedestrian dead zone - built only to accomodate traffic

Unfortunately retail rental rates have to be quite high to pencil in buildings. We have to trust the market on this. Forcing them to build retail space they don't want just reduces the amount of residential and raise the price for those residential units that are built.

Unfortunately retail rental rates have to be quite high to pencil in buildings. We have to trust the market on this. Forcing them to build retail space they don't want just reduces the amount of residential and raise the price for those residential units that are built.
If you look at any successful neighborhood... Kensington, Marda loop, 17th, bridgeland, Inglewood... they all have retail at ground level which is what makes pedestrian friendly, vibrant, safe streets (all of which have very high occupancy rates). Building purely residential is short sighted, and wouldn't happen in successfully planned urban cities. Calgary is letting developers decide what happens to the revitalization of these urban neighbourhoods and it's very unfortunate to watch; this would never happen in Vancouver or Toronto, where the vibrancy of neighbourhoods and streets is key to the success of the city.

One way around this is to encourage buildings designed in ways that anticipate residential-to-retail conversion at the ground level, and also to make such conversions a lot easier from a zoning/permitting standpoint. A lot of really successful neighbourhoods not only have street-level retail, but retail that has taken root on narrower residential streets (e.g. Baldwin, Mirvish Village, or Yorkville in Toronto, or what is currently happening on 34 Ave in Marda Loop)

Back