Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 3 So So

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • 4 Not Good

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 5 Terrible

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
thankfully better than the one kitty corner to it.

I will say this about the Torode building on the opposite corner. As ugly as it may be it's always busy with people around it. Does anyone remember what used to be in that location?
I guess last night was no exception.

IMG_7804.JPG

It’s passable. I would give it a 60% overall. Form, size, retail, large windows are all good. Material choice is what really brings this down.
Same thing with the building across the street. If they only used brick/stone it could actually be pretty nice, I like the rounded corner of that one.

I agree with the last few comments. Apart from the materials looking a bit dated, it has good form, reasonably good ground floor interaction, I even don't mind the bold colours - a good departure from the safe-but-boring sleek white/grey/black that architects lean on in both wardrobe colours and buildings.

Last edited:
This building blends in, that's why the area is OK with it. Inglewood does need a few standout buildings though, people there need to realize that!

I will say this about the Torode building on the opposite corner. As ugly as it may be it's always busy with people around it. Does anyone remember what used to be in that location?
This is what used to be in the location. While I don't like what we got, it's sure a big improvement:
Capture.PNG

Yeah, I actually think this one is turning out okay. If I could make one minor change, it would be to swap the beige colour around the windows in the red portion with white to match the upper floors.
I would do the same. Small change that would make a big difference. This one's not great but it's turning out better than the rendering, I think Inglewood dodged a bullet.

The character of Inglewood was enhanced by single story auto body shops on its main street?
Ha Ha! I would agree with that question. The real character and history of 'main street' Inglewood is the 9th ave stretch between 9 St & 12 St. Even with the new buildings on both sides of the streets, it still has retained its' charm. Anything east or west of that block is infinitely less appealing, to me at least. Just a hodge podge of buildings put up over the decades as the original turn of the century ones disappeared. Both Torode buildings are located in the less appealing part of main street. One could argue they could have made a better effort in their design however.

It's a shame about the material used on the Torode building. Outside of that it's a decent little building, and the round corner adds some character.

It's an improvement over what was there, but it's a huge missed opportunity. It will be a real shame if nice buildings the RNDSQR get blocked and Inglewood fills up with crap. Imagine how these buildings will look in 10-20 years when their cheap siding starts warping and peeling off. Best case scenario is that people care enough to replace them with brick.

Back