Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 3 So So

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • 4 Not Good

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 5 Terrible

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
This project has caused me sleepless nights, frankly. I am all for a design that respects and even sometimes challenges context.
I'm of the mind that sometimes stronger material counterpoints & contrasts actually reinforce design. I came across this brick building
that illustrates what I'm trying to get at.

nadaaa.jpg

(Courtesy DEZEEN magazine, NADAA Architecture)
It's not meant to represent "this should take the place of that", but certain architectural moves help fortify design, and refine it.
This was actually a home built in 1920, but the idea of inserting the new elements like this is scale-less, and applicable to any
size IMHO.

Attachments

• nadaaa.jpg
    nadaaa.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 914
It's not meant to represent "this should take the place of that", but certain architectural moves help fortify design, and refine it.
This was actually a home built in 1920, but the idea of inserting the new elements like this is scale-less, and applicable to any
size IMHO.
View attachment 108126

I would love it if what you posted replaced the current proposal. :cool::cool:

That building would fit in beautifully along 9th ave. As much as I like buildings like Telus Sky and 707-5th, I wish Calgary had more of that kind of architecture.

This project has caused me sleepless nights, frankly. I am all for a design that respects and even sometimes challenges context.
I'm of the mind that sometimes stronger material counterpoints & contrasts actually reinforce design. I came across this brick building

View attachment 108126
size IMHO.

Which project has caused the sleepless nights...the one proposed or the one the one that you've shown that would be awesome? ;)

View attachment 108126
size IMHO.

Which project has caused the sleepless nights...the one proposed or the one the one that you've shown that would be awesome? ;)
Ha! Good one BKha. You got me on that. The proposed building kind of conjures up visions of Sesame Street meets Lemony Snickett " A series of Unfortunate Events"

I love Inglewood and this is one of the places I am actually strongly considering moving to.
They posted a new website for those who are interested: www.irvine-inglewood.com

You got me excited! I thought there was going to be a design change.

Thanks for posting though.

No problem at all! from the website - I feel as if they are really trying to capture the uniqueness of Inglewood as they focus heavily on the community and the lifestyle. I found this an interesting approach!

No problem at all! from the website - I feel as if they are really trying to capture the uniqueness of Inglewood as they focus heavily on the community and the lifestyle. I found this an interesting approach!

I agree, but it's still faux history. We'll see how it turns out. As long as they use real brick and not stucco, it will be more than good enough :)

Hi Kate and welcome to SRC. I like the scale of the project, but I don't see how it is capturing the uniqueness of Inglewood.
This is only my own personal opinion of course, but I see Inglewood as a contrast of two styles ....one which is old and historic neighborhood and one that is a very modern neighborhood.

I would like to see a project that uses older material such as brick or stone to reflect on the historical side of the neighborhood, but in a modern way so as to reflect on the modern side of Inglewood.

More along the lines of South Bank?
http://www.opuscorp.ca/projects/developmentleasing/atlanticlivingblock_august2015.cfm
Hi Kate and welcome to SRC. I like the scale of the project, but I don't see how it is capturing the uniqueness of Inglewood.
This is only my own personal opinion of course, but I see Inglewood as a contrast of two styles ....one which is old and historic neighborhood and one that is a very modern neighborhood.

I would like to see a project that uses older material such as brick or stone to reflect on the historical side of the neighborhood, but in a modern way so as to reflect on the modern side of Inglewood.

I'm with you JBI. Ingelwood deserves better than just "decent." Every developer thinking about the area should look at Hive before they get into designing for Inglewood. Irvine looks like it belongs in Cranston or some such far flung place rather than Inglewood.

Back