News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary International Airport

It would be interesting to see this chart with the corresponding Edmonton to Calgary passenger numbers for these years. Gives some indication of how Edmonton's total traveler numbers are changing in relations to how much Calgary as a hub is impacting things.
IIRC the seat count between YYC and YEG max'd out at around 600,000 a year post Air Canada-Canadian merger. No idea before.

The busiest in the country is YYC-YVR, I think YYC-YYZ is fourth busiest.

There’s a list somewhere by OAG group but I can’t find it anymore.
Calgary (4th most populated region) to Vancouver (3rd most populated region) is the busiest route in the country? I would of thought Toronto (Most populated region) and Montreal (2nd most populated region) would be busiest. Or even YYZ-YVR.

Calgary (4th most populated region) to Vancouver (3rd most populated region) is the busiest route in the country? I would of thought Toronto (Most populated region) and Montreal (2nd most populated region) would be busiest. Or even YYZ-YVR.
If this is true, I would suspect there's something to do with cost, time and competition here too.

Montreal to Toronto is about 5 hour drive, or 1 to 1.5 hour flight. Given their urban sizes, it's no easy commute in either city to the airport for much of the region - easily 30 minutes+ or more just to get there before you start security, boarding etc. The benefit over driving is much less.

Calgary - Vancouver is about 10 - 12 hour drive, but 1 to 1.5 hour flight. Driving also comes with a great deal of unpredictability and seasonality issues with mountain driving. Market demand on either end is smaller but airports are highly convenient for a larger proportion of the cities relative to the metropolises of Montreal and Toronto.

Also you can take VIA Rail between Toronto and Montreal, and it's a bit faster than driving if you're going downtown to downtown (which can push 6 hours sometimes).
Exactly what I was going to say. Despite Via being considerably slower than flying, it’s the convenience aspect. No security check-in, no waiting around, very few delays, and downtown-to-downtown. The convenience factor is clear.

Exactly what I was going to say. Despite Via being considerably slower than flying, it’s the convenience aspect. No security check-in, no waiting around, very few delays, and downtown-to-downtown. The convenience factor is clear.
My god what a concept! It has been said but a decent rail connection from Edmonton to Calgary would sink YEG.

It would be interesting to see this chart with the corresponding Edmonton to Calgary passenger numbers for these years. Gives some indication of how Edmonton's total traveler numbers are changing in relations to how much Calgary as a hub is impacting things.
It's one thing for YYC to have all the additional flights, where the harm really impact YEG imo is all the regional travellers from AB now deciding YYC is their best option. GP, Ft Mac, RD region....would all fly into YYC or drive for better options.

My god what a concept! It has been said but a decent rail connection from Edmonton to Calgary would sink YEG.
I don’t think it would. Things might change but there is a good base there. Not like we’ve seen a surge of feeder traffic from YEG.
Another factor is that a competitive rail journey downtown-to-downtown featuring stops at the airports of either city would like induce many new trips that don't currently occur.

I can't quite imagine what that would mean for the amount of airport trips and relative strengths of each hubs, but the overall trip market would certainly grow if an under 3 hour downtown-to-downtown trip was available. The faster it is, the more likely it competes to city-to-city air trips that start in one city and end in another - but many air trips aren't those, rather transfers to other cities which would still make sense to go to the nearest airport. You could easily slow vehicle travel growth on the corridor if a faster rail service was provided but also substantially grow the pie.

Getting into the really high speed scenarios of under 1.5 hours travel time by rail and the metro-regions will begin to actually integrate labour and consumer markets. That's the real game changing speed that current does not exist for either highway or air trips.

You're right, it wouldn't take it out of business but for connections it might hurt it.
It’s hard to say as adding an Edmonton connection flight through Calgary doesn’t change the ticket price very much.
We booked our flights to Rome in the spring, and some friends from Edmonton who are going to be on the same flight, paid exactly the same amount, even though they have the Edmonton leg of the flight added on.

I could see if you are taking a flight that originates from Calgary doesn’t have a transfer to Edmonton, like Edelweiss, it would make a difference but if it’s on WestJet chances are it’s going to be a similar price flying from Edmonton to Calgary first.

Back