News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.1K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.1K     0 

Calgary International Airport

For the last four months YYC has averaged a little over 150,000 passengers more than the corresponding month from 2019. If they keep up that pace, they’ll come in somewhere around 18.6 to 18.7M passengers.
Quoting my past production of 18.6-18.7M for this year. It’ll be close.

Have any US airlines flown LAX / YYC before? It’s a hub for the big 3 US airlines but doesn’t seem to have many Canadian connections

I was about to say that ^
There was a brief period Alaska was serving YYC-SEA, LAX and horizon was serving PDX.

I believe delta (maybe American) had flown the route once too but it was ages ago.

Speaking of LAX, WestJet has been scheduling removing etc. the 787 on YYC-LAX for the past couple week, for the spring season, Which is interesting.

If they want anymore overseas routes they’re definitely going to need more slack in their 787 fleet. Its basically stretched out as far as it can be now.
Imagine an announcement will happen soon. Two 787s (C-FLWH and C-FLJS) that Westjet didn't take are still sitting in storage with Westjet livery and configuration. The cancellation was announced the same time as their 737 Max order so maybe Boeing allowed them to take delivery later for a certain timeframe before they re-sell them.
With the ICN announcement and the previous extension of the NRT route into the fall, these routes are probably doing better than Westjet expected and they'll probably pick up those 787s.

The only issue with the 2 tails sitting in storage is that they aren’t fly-able as is. They’ll need a decent overhaul after 2 years of sitting and that isn’t cheap.

Perhaps they could negotiate something out with boeing?

Imagine an announcement will happen soon. Two 787s (C-FLWH and C-FLJS) that Westjet didn't take are still sitting in storage with Westjet livery and configuration. The cancellation was announced the same time as their 737 Max order so maybe Boeing allowed them to take delivery later for a certain timeframe before they re-sell them.
With the ICN announcement and the previous extension of the NRT route into the fall, these routes are probably doing better than Westjet expected and they'll probably pick up those 787s.
This would qualify as an elementary level response from me....but i'd but my 2 cents into the basket that they did not forsee international recovering to the level it has, which at the time would have been a fair argument. The 787 pause was announced june '22 , which implies it was decided in the spring of that time, when we were mere weeks removed from COVID restrictions being lifted.

Would agree, if there are 2 pieces of metal sitting their "relatively" ready, and they are finding economic strength in these routes with no domestic competition...why wouldnt they?

Their new CEO is also not very keen on the widebody business, and has time and time again talked about it being what it is with the existing frames they have. His focus is all on the 737 fleet.

Westjet seems to be ending its Link service to YLL.

Maybe we see them replace with a mountain destination?

Back